News:

Forum changes: Editing of posts has been turned off until further notice.

Main Menu

Presentation and two little question ^^

Started by Shia, March 10, 2007, 02:18:35 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Shia

Hello everybody ^__^

I'm a 32 year old, 5 year experienced gamer living in Rimini, Italy, and this is my first time here ^^

I've read with great interest the Provvisional Glossary (and i translate it in italian), but i haven't clear at all some things; i've read the policy about this forum (Actual Play) but my questions can't refer themselves to "real" experiences of play so i make excuses myself.

Into the Big Model Boxes (es. Techniques) there are some terms (GM Tasks, Reward system, ecc)
My questons are: "What are exactly these terms?" and "Are these terms in some relations one to each other?"

Thanks for attention, sorry for my bad english,  and have a nice day ^__^

Moreno R.

Hi, Shia!

About your questions, I think that you should find some answers in these links:

Silent Railroading and the Intersection of Scenario Prep & Player Authorship
You've Landed on Gaming Group "Park Place", Pay $15 Rent
and, by a lesser degree, Dividing the Traditional GM Tasks

I found the following threads very, very useful to understand the Big Models and the various "parts" of the model. I suggest you read them even before reading the previous links, to understand them better.
Frostfolk and GNS aggravation.
[Frostfolk, ] Carrying on

People who were here for longer than me could probably give you even better threads, but there are the ones that I remember.

But one thing that I learned in the last months reading this forum, it's that if you want a more personal answer, you NEED to talk about your real play. Not as a sort of "duty to the forum", but as a way to allow people to look at what you are doing when you play and be able to tell you "look! There! Here is when you did the thing we talked about". The Big Model is a... model (duh!) of your (our) actual play, and the best way to understand it is through actual play (and this is what Ron did in the Frostfolk discussion I linked above, and this is the reason I suggest you read these topics)

So, if you still have questions about these topics after reading these links, my advice is to write about the games you play, how you play, what you do as the GM in these games, what the players do, etc. 

Without this, all I can answer you is "techniques are what you (the group) do in service to your creative agenda, if you have one", an abstract answer that I don't think it's telling you very much, because these are definitions like the ones in the provisional glossary that you didn't understand.
Ciao,
Moreno.

(Excuse my errors, English is not my native language. I'm Italian.)