News:

Forum changes: Editing of posts has been turned off until further notice.

Main Menu

Ranged and Cover questions

Started by Rampage, March 16, 2007, 07:27:38 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Rampage

I have two questions regarding demonic abilities I'd like to ask:

Imagine I have a demon with two different special damage attacks, Spit Acid and Ray of Frost, both of which I want to make ranged. Should the demon have two rangeds, each for each ability? Or would one suffice, as long as the Ranged isn't being used for something else?

Same would go for cloak. If I want both attacks to be cloaked, would I require one or two cloaks? I imagine it would be useful to have two cloaks, one for yourself and one for the attack.

And the other question, related to cloaked attacks. If I use my cloaked spit acid ability to spit on my victim, that victim automatically notices it and everything proceeds normally. But what about the observers? Would they have a 1 dice roll or a lore based perception roll (or something else?) to spot the attack, and if they fail they just see the effect? (victim suddenly is covered in acid).

I imagine this would only be useful for the first attack if you get in the fight, as then it would be too obvious to everyone.
Pseudonym, Not Persona

Ron Edwards

Hi there!

QuoteImagine I have a demon with two different special damage attacks, Spit Acid and Ray of Frost, both of which I want to make ranged. Should the demon have two rangeds, each for each ability? Or would one suffice, as long as the Ranged isn't being used for something else?

Ranged is power-specific. You'd need to have two Rangeds for those purposes.

QuoteSame would go for cloak. If I want both attacks to be cloaked, would I require one or two cloaks? I imagine it would be useful to have two cloaks, one for yourself and one for the attack.

Actually, Cloak isn't like Ranged. Cloak is pretty generic, unless some aspect of that particular power is defined in more limited fashion for that particular game or particular demon.

QuoteAnd the other question, related to cloaked attacks. If I use my cloaked spit acid ability to spit on my victim, that victim automatically notices it and everything proceeds normally. But what about the observers? Would they have a 1 dice roll or a lore based perception roll (or something else?) to spot the attack, and if they fail they just see the effect? (victim suddenly is covered in acid).

That depends a lot on the game in question. The default answer, though, is that you're almost right. Yes, they'd need a perception roll, but it could be based on any score with a relevant descriptor, or it'd be one die. The opposing dice would be the demon's Power, probably.

QuoteI imagine this would only be useful for the first attack if you get in the fight, as then it would be too obvious to everyone.

That'd be best answered in terms of an actual play situation. I can imagine a lot of situations in which the Cloak would persist, as far as observers were concerned, as well as situations which would be handled as you describe.

Best, Ron