News:

Forum changes: Editing of posts has been turned off until further notice.

Main Menu

Reflecting on my first publication

Started by sean2099, March 20, 2007, 07:27:40 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

sean2099

A while back, I posted a thread http://www.indie-rpgs.com/forum/index.php?topic=23002.0
where I had asked for advice on the publishing game.

This is my almost two month followup to releasing my game (Divinity by AGES Gaming) at onebookshelf.com.  I've also released at fantasy download.com and I have just added a paypal "buy now" button as well.  As of 3-20-07, I sold 17 PDF downloads.  It relieved my fears of having zero copies sell and I have almost reached the first break even point of getting the money I put into it back.  In addition, I am currenting working on a supplement for it and I have something else in the works but it is too early to talk about it now.  Anyway, I learned a few things along the way that maybe all of you know or maybe you don't.

Listen and read heavily about the RPG industry and especially about your chosen area within it.  It helped me avoid obvious mistakes like ordering 3000 copies or otherwise leaving me with a finanical horror story.  In addition, it made a better product.  Playtesting is key.  I only had a limited amount of it available to me but I took the next best thing when it wasn't available, getting people to look at it critically. 

I learned a lot about gathering art for Divinity.  Clipart.com can be your best friend.  I designed most of Divinity with it although I think it is important to pay for some of it.  It can help establish contacts and give a bit of originality to it.  I think I did ok with it...I have received positive comments on the layout and cover. 

My one regret is that I couldn't solict more playtesting comments from people.  It really does differentate your stuff from other people.

I have more comments but I am being called away...

Sean
http://www.agesgaming.bravehost.com

agesgaming_divinity subscribe@yahoogroups.com

email to join AGES Gaming Yahoo Group
it's my lil' website.