News:

Forum changes: Editing of posts has been turned off until further notice.

Main Menu

How to get (and keep) an Actual Play group

Started by Zak Arntson, June 05, 2002, 12:19:06 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Zak Arntson

Okay, there's been some mention at http://www.indie-rpgs.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=2358 about how to get an Actual Play group playing consistently. I figured it would be better to move that particular topic over here.

So, here's my methods, mostly on _keeping_ a gaming group playing:

* Match your games/scenarios to your alotted play time. We pick a game that can be played in one to three sessions of gaming. So far, we've played Donjon, InSpectres, Pantheon, d20 Call of Cthulhu, Elfs. Something like Rolemaster would be right out, because of our unfamiliarity and the massive handling time that would be required. A full-fledged Sorcerer campaign is also out, but Sorcerer one-shots would be fine.

* Make sure everyone agrees on a weekly time. We play Mondays, starting at 6, ending at 9 to 9:30pm. It's only 3 hours, but that's all we can really coordinate between us all. The Thursday or Friday before, I email everyone to find out who can make it, so we can all prepare.

* If we aren't into a game, we are perfectly willing to stop playing. Latest Monday, we were all tired and cut Pantheon short. Much more satisfying than toughing it out and not having any fun.

* Constant dialogues. People will be more invested if they have an interest in coming. We are always talking before and after the game about what went right, what went wrong, and what we all want out of a game.

* Don't just roleplay. We play Munchkin or video games or just hang out and eat before playing. Eating before play is good. Or during the game's setup. Everyone's satisfied and there's no food distraction during play.