News:

Forum changes: Editing of posts has been turned off until further notice.

Main Menu

Max number of players in PtA

Started by Snarls-at-Fleas, April 10, 2007, 03:09:22 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Snarls-at-Fleas

I was wondering about for some time. I'm going to run PtA in nearest future and as far as I can see all the shows are usually about 3-4 protagonists. Could it be 6-7? I have a D&D/WoD group and I don't want to drop any of them. Anyone has any experience in running games of that scale?

Matt Wilson

Heya Snarls:

If your group is pretty cohesive while playing WoD games, they should just fine while playing Primetime Adventures. With smaller groups, it's easy to just have everyone share and let the narrator stamp approval. But with 6-7, the narrator might need to speak up and "lay down the law."

hix

I've played Extreme Source Board Racers Generation One Million, with seven players, and that seemed to go fine - lots of ensemble scenes between the different gangs of PCs, and lots of sub-plots involving different PCs butting heads.

I've run two episodes of The Devil's Music, about life in a famous rock band that's managed by the Devil, for 6 players. I found that the story pretty much ran itself, and as Producer I just had to step back and keep my eyes peeled for conflicts.

What I'm saying is that the extra players didn't seem to have much of an effect on how PTA runs. With a good group, it runs smoothly & everyone's generous about making sure that everyone else is involved.
Cheers,
Steve

Gametime: a New Zealand blog about RPGs

Snarls-at-Fleas

Thanks for the help. This week I'm going to try it with four ppl (my second group), and then we'll go large :)

hix

Hey there,

I just remembered ... I've also played in another couple of 6-player one-offs of PTA. What I've noticed across all those games is that in a pitch session with 6-7 people,  it takes a lot longer to get an idea that clicks for everyone, and then to develop all the characters and Issues. Longer than it does with 3 or 4 players, anyway.

The duration for 6-7 person pitch sessions has ranged from 25 minutes, to 2.5 hours.
Cheers,
Steve

Gametime: a New Zealand blog about RPGs