News:

Forum changes: Editing of posts has been turned off until further notice.

Main Menu

Gadgets..Weird and Mad

Started by Ian O'Rourke, April 12, 2007, 06:39:23 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ian O'Rourke

Okay, just some general advice and discussion really.

The gadget rules are the part of the game I feel less comfortable, not saying there is anything wrong with them, it's just I always feel a bit unconfortable with gadget rules in most games (other than M&M, since they're largely just normal powers with a different source).

The first issue is I get a bit confused as to what the different people can actually do, such as what each of the following can achieve?

1. Individual with just high science and engineering
2. Weird Scientist
3. Mad Scientist.

For example, to create Jet Black's Jet Pack do you need to be 1, 2 or 3? It certainly seems to be at least a 2?

Then if you have a Mad Scientist in the game I can't even begin to contemplate how to adjudicate the devices they create..I mean we are talking Reed Richards here? They seem more like plot devices rather than anything the player creates to solve problems in the game as he'd be able to solve anything?

I've got this type of character in my game (not sure if he's 1,2 or 3 yet), and that's great, as the character is great, and I like the idea, it's just hit the woolliest part of the game, for me anyway.

Discuss :)
Ian O'Rourke
www.fandomlife.net
The e-zine of SciFi media and Fandom Culture.

iago

Weird and Mad Science improvements are flagged explicitly in the Gadgets chapter, so there's actually some specific (if broad) guidelines for what can be done.  Look at pages 213-215.  * means weird science, ** means mad science.  I definitely think Reed Richards treads onto the Mad territory.

Ian O'Rourke

Yeah, but they sort of seem to contradict each other, or some of the examples do, in that both Jet Black's backpack (Weird Science?) and the Radiatian Ray (Mad Science) example are built with just plain Engineering skills it seems?

Anyway, I can narrow this down, as the character is in..post later.
Ian O'Rourke
www.fandomlife.net
The e-zine of SciFi media and Fandom Culture.

iago

Quote from: Ian O'Rourke on April 13, 2007, 03:41:30 AM
Yeah, but they sort of seem to contradict each other, or some of the examples do, in that both Jet Black's backpack (Weird Science?) and the Radiatian Ray (Mad Science) example are built with just plain Engineering skills it seems?

Jet Black's backpack was just bought outright as a fixed gadget.  Weird and Mad Science tend to come into play more for gadgets that get developed in play, after character creation.

TomTitTot

I am also having quite a lot of trouble absorbing the Gadget rules, and as we have a Mad Scientist in our soon-to-run game,  I'm concerned about my ability to handle these rules.

Anyone offer tips if, for example, my player decides to create a Transdimensional Gateway? How would I work that out mechanically?

Thanks in Advance!

Mel White

Quote from: TomTitTot on December 15, 2007, 08:47:36 PM
Anyone offer tips if, for example, my player decides to create a Transdimensional Gateway? How would I work that out mechanically?
One of the neat things about 'Making Things' (p. 213) is the requirement for appropriate tools and supplies, and time.  These logistical requirements can help make building an item a mini-story unto itself.  In the example of the Transdimensional Gateway , which sounds like a Legendary device (+8), the Mad Scientist needs a Legendary Workshop to have the right tools and supplies.  Getting those tools wil require a Legendary Resources roll, and will take some time.  The rules describe the the time requirement for building an item as at least a day per level of item quality over Mediocre.  I prefer to go down one step(taking longer) on the time chart (p.227) for each level of item quality and resource requirment over Mediocre for both acquiring the appropriate workshop and for making the device.  So, for a Legendary Workshop, the Scientist would have to make a Legendary Resources roll and it would take a year for the equipment to be delivered to the Lab, tested, etc.  I'm picturing lots of parts and tools that arrive over time.  The time can be decreased by any shifts in the Resources roll.  Then, the Scientist would actually have to build the device, taking another year (based on its quality), or 8 days in accord with the rules as written.  The Scientist can speed up this process by finding an Engineer to help; the Engineer makes an Engineering roll against the Legendary difficulty--any shifts reduce the time required by one step.  [Alternately, there's no reason why the Scientist couldn't make a Science roll to have the same effect.  There's no requirement in the rules for a Science roll.]  This process-requiring the Lab, the option for the Engineer, is very good at incorporating different characters into the process, because each will have something to contribute.  The high Resources character bankrolls the operation, the Engineer helps build the device.  Other characters get involved to find out why the supply shipment is delayed, or infiltrate the rival scientists' lab to find out what they know...it's more than the character just having something, because that ability is its own Stunt! 
To summarize: 
Require a Resources roll to acquire the appropriate Workshop, which takes a certain amount of Time (either one step below 'A Day' for each level of device quality above Mediocre; or one day per level of device quality above Mediocre)
Build the device, which also takes time; (no roll required)
Allow a Science or an Engineering roll to decrease the time required to make the device, each shift above the device's quality reduces the time by one step on the time chart (or by one day).

Building the device becomes as detailed or as streamlined a process as matches everyone's interest.  It can be done in one or two rolls of the dice, with the Time passing by a simple shift of scenes, or a montage leading to the device's completion.  Or, in the time required for supplies to arrive and for the device to be built, other things can be happening. 

Mel

Mel
Virtual Play: A podcast of roleplaying games
http://virtualplay.podbus.com

iago

Quote from: TomTitTot on December 15, 2007, 08:47:36 PM
I am also having quite a lot of trouble absorbing the Gadget rules, and as we have a Mad Scientist in our soon-to-run game,  I'm concerned about my ability to handle these rules.

Thanks in Advance!

Well, that's what the "Unbelievable" improvement is there for.  A Transdimensional Gateway does this thing that's normal (it's like a doorway, only it opens to ANOTHER DIMENSION.  Unbelievable!).  If it can also transport you across a great distance -- something a door, itself, doesn't normally do, that's another improvement, potentially.  Stuff like that.