News:

Forum changes: Editing of posts has been turned off until further notice.

Main Menu

A few questions on the 2nd edition...

Started by jessecoombs, May 19, 2007, 01:02:54 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

jessecoombs

If these questions have been answered in older posts, I apologize and I'll try to seek them out.

I just had a few basic questions about mechanics of PTA.

-Is the episode over when the producer has run out of budget, does it end when it seems appropriate, or some combination of both?
-Does a player spend a point of fanmail to enter a scene, enter a conflict, or both/either?
-When a player spends a point of fanmail to enter said conflict or scene, is this point put back into the budget, put into the fanmail pile, or removed from the game?
-Are there any mechanical benefits to using sets, such as personal sets? I read an older post which mentioned refreshing the amount of times you could use your edges. I didn't see this mentioned in the 2nd edition book, so I'm guessing that it's an older rule from the 1st edition that no longer applies like the switch from 3/2 to 2/1 spread on character creation.
-When a player spends fanmail to draw an extra card in a conflict, the card is set aside and if it is red, the point goes back to the producer's budget. If it is black, the point is removed from the game. Now if the fanmail is spent to use an expired connection or edge, is the mechanic the same, or is it treated differently because the player is limiting his character to using that connection or edge in the conflict? If it is treated differently, does the point get put back into the budget, put into the fanmail pile, or removed from the game.

I'm a stickler for some of these types of tiny rule clarifications.

So far, we've been having a great time with the game.

Filip Luszczyk

If I didn't mess up anything:

Quote-Is the episode over when the producer has run out of budget, does it end when it seems appropriate, or some combination of both?

It ends up when appropriate, but drying budget is a signal to start wrapping things up.

Quote-Does a player spend a point of fanmail to enter a scene, enter a conflict, or both/either?

As I understand it, the player spends fanmail to enter a conflict if his character is not present in the scene but he wants to participate.

Quote-When a player spends a point of fanmail to enter said conflict or scene, is this point put back into the budget, put into the fanmail pile, or removed from the game?

It always returns to the budget.

Quote-Are there any mechanical benefits to using sets, such as personal sets? I read an older post which mentioned refreshing the amount of times you could use your edges. I didn't see this mentioned in the 2nd edition book, so I'm guessing that it's an older rule from the 1st edition that no longer applies like the switch from 3/2 to 2/1 spread on character creation.

You do regain one use of an edge or a connection if your personal set is the location of the scene.

Quote-When a player spends fanmail to draw an extra card in a conflict, the card is set aside and if it is red, the point goes back to the producer's budget. If it is black, the point is removed from the game. Now if the fanmail is spent to use an expired connection or edge, is the mechanic the same, or is it treated differently because the player is limiting his character to using that connection or edge in the conflict? If it is treated differently, does the point get put back into the budget, put into the fanmail pile, or removed from the game.

I recall reading somewhere that fanmail spent to use a trait works in exactly the same way as fanmail spent normally and the option is only about color (otherwise, it would never have sense to do it). However, I might be wrong about this.

stefoid

I also have a question.

Does the producer take his turn selecting a scene along with the rest of the players (clockwise or whatever), or does he just set the first scene and after that its players only?