News:

Forum changes: Editing of posts has been turned off until further notice.

Main Menu

A good introductory game?

Started by malcolmr, May 21, 2007, 01:27:43 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

malcolmr

[This probably isn't the right forum for this, but I can't find a better one. Please forgive.]

I'm a university lecturer teaching a class in game design (all kinds of games, not just RPG). I want to spend some time in class discussing the role of character and story in gameplay, and I'd like to use a simple RPG as an example. Can anyone recommend a story-driven RPG which would be suitable? I have about 20 inexperienced players and no more than 1 hour in which to prepare and play the game. A bit ask, I realise.

Malcolm

Eero Tuovinen

You need something that goes directly into play... I've done this kind of thing myself, but there weren't sleek enough games at the at time, so I homebrewed my own exercises for the purpose.

You know, in spite of it still being non-published, I'm going to recommend my own Zombies at the Door for this kind of thing. It's one of those few games that genuinely have no requirement of pre-created characters, and the basic premise is really simple for anybody to catch: a bunch of people are stuck inside a building besieged by zombies. It was originally created as a drill game for this exact purpose: I wanted a game that gauges the skills of each player in being proactive as story creators.

Apart from that, other games that might work for you are Under the Bed and 1001 Nights, both of which are reasonably quick to set up and simple to play. Especially the former should be very easy for game design students to grasp, as it's structures are clearly visible.
Blogging at Game Design is about Structure.
Publishing Zombie Cinema and Solar System at Arkenstone Publishing.

JackTheOwner

I think The Pool (especially Snowball varianton) or Wushu.

First game is based on story-creating rules (Snowball v. have also rules for scene framing) and Wushu is perfect for freeform Matrix-like play, because it's giving bonus for desribing stuns.
Nah

Ron Edwards

Hey guys who've replied,

You know better than this. This is the Forge. You can't break rules here just because someone else doesn't know them very well. When Malcolm posts non-actual-play in Actual Play, that does not mean you can say "Oh well, guess the rule's broken, so I'll just pretend it's Story Games now."

Good intentions aren't relevant. Don't do that again, ever. Thanks.

Malcolm, you're OK, though. You're new. In the future, when you aren't sure where to post, just send me a private message and I'll be very friendly and helpful.

Here's the best way we can help you. Clearly, you want to teach these kids something. What, in your experience of actual play, is that something? When did you experience it? What was the game, how did it go?

Once we know that, then the suggestions for systems will be vastly more relevant to your purpose.

Best, Ron

malcolmr

Thanks for the suggestions. I found the game I wanted. Once Upon a Time seems to be well suited to my task. It is simple to explain and non-threatening to players unfamiliar with story-making games.

I apologise for breaking the rules around here. I didn't realise that this board was quite so stringently policed. Is there any more relaxed forum in which RPG design conversation takes place?

Malcolm

Ron Edwards