Home
Help
Login
Register
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
October 22, 2014, 04:43:51 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Forum changes: Editing of posts has been turned off until further notice.
Search:     Advanced search
275647 Posts in 27717 Topics by 4283 Members Latest Member: - otto Most online today: 63 - most online ever: 429 (November 03, 2007, 04:35:43 AM)
Pages: [1]
Print
Author Topic: (Resurrected) Magic(k), Meaning & Mechanics  (Read 711 times)
TwoCrows

« on: May 23, 2007, 05:44:36 PM »

This post is a rez from The Meaning of Magic(k)<Real Magic<The Golden Bough<
What is my vision of Magick? I have several different visions. The vision nearest and dearest to my heart and mind is that Magick is pure human Will. Not a gift from God (or the Gods). Not something foreign, that a rare few can wield and even fewer will be great at. Magick lives in each of us, shaped and molded by the imagination of thinking men and women.
Quote from: The Crazy Player on April 09, 2007, 03:55:54 PM
While I do have a certain fondness for the idea of doing a game solely about Magick, every time I turn around I have a new idea for how Magick might work, and putting them all into single setting would be very messy, particularly since some of the ideas are mutually exclusive.

Anyone have thoughts on how to create a game that can cover numerous and potentially contrary ideas?
Quote from: fantang7 on April 22, 2007, 02:49:01 AM
For me, with a BA in Religious Studies, what's by far the most interesting aspect of magic is looking at what people have thought of it historically.  It is a very rare game that even begins to approach the diversity of views around the world of humanity's interaction with the supernatural.

I personally think that magic should arise from the setting, rather than the other way around.  That is, it should be natural and logical and make sense in the setting.
Quote from: lumpley on March 30, 2007, 08:33:05 AM
When you design a game, you coordinate what magic is IN the game's fiction with what magic does TO the game's fiction.
Pages: [1]
Print
Jump to: