News:

Forum changes: Editing of posts has been turned off until further notice.

Main Menu

Ideas for stuff for PDF's only

Started by Ace, June 07, 2002, 04:42:58 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ace

Just wondering what you all might like to see on Fan Created PDF's. I am not talking about about outtakes from books necessarily but just the assorted rules and varients that an make a game more fun

My suggestions

Strange But True:
Weird weapons from around the world. Basically weird martial arts weapons made real.
Stuff like meteor hammers, sai, tonfa, etc

Yeah Right;
Fictional but somewhat  reasonable weapons.

Gunpowder weapons. Flintlocks and more

An Alternate "soft" magic system

A ritual magic system ala GURPS spirits

A modification Ron's Sorcerer magic system

A chi magic system

LightSword duel for wanna be Jdai Knight,  heck maybe a "magic" system to go with it

BTW Please don't assume I am panning the TROS magic system, I most assuredly am not.  No Play, No Panning thats my current rule

I just like to play with magic systems,

Bad habit I guess ;)

Lyrax

Meteor hammer:  It's a maul.

Sai: It's a parrying dagger, only less sharp.

Tonfa: It's a club.
Lance Meibos
Insanity takes it's toll.  Please have exact change ready.

Get him quick!  He's still got 42 hit points left!

DaR

Quote from: AceJust wondering what you all might like to see on Fan Created PDF's. I am not talking about about outtakes from books necessarily but just the assorted rules and varients that an make a game more fun

I think I'd like to see a wider variety of Gifts and Flaws.  The ones that are there are quite good (even if some don't seem it at first glance), but I've had a couple of times where I was working on a character and couldn't find a flaw that really fit the design well enough to accept the drawbacks or one that didn't seem like a 'waste' of the gift.

Hrm.  Perhaps I'll pull out my Ars Magica books and see about adapting some of those.  I seem to recall that AM4 had a good selection of rather interesting Virtues and Flaws.

-DaR
--
Dan Root
Dan Root

Ace

Meteor hammer:  It's a maul.

It's also a flail though and quite different than a maul

Sai: It's a parrying dagger, only less sharp.

close but the side bars on sai and jitte should effect disarming and the DTN as well

Tonfa: It's a club.

Not even close IMO, the style of weapon is really different. A club you hold in your hand and use like a shortsword, armingsword whatever is not the same as a club that is used lying against your forearm. IMO the Tonfa has a  high DTN but a short range among other changes.

I know a lot of TROS fans are afraid of turning the game into Ninjas Night Out but I like the variety and there are a lot of asian style cultures on Weyeth.

The Yone and others deserve space too.

As too the weird stuff,  well while the tonfa is pretty common (most US cops use them now) the others are too rare to deserve space in The Flower Of Battle.

The existed but are prety rare and/or to silly to use in battle. Tessen (war fan) yeah right...

I don't thing White Wolf  style splatts for each nation are the way to go, I don't want to find crunchy bits in them, so a PDF seems the best route.

Lyrax

Okay, I was wrong about the meteor hammer.  I'm used to talking about stuff that I am uninformed about, though, so nothing new.

Sais are parrying daggers.  Parrying daggers were nice little weapons with two (usually optional and spring-loaded) prongs on the side.  All you do is charge x5 or x10 the amount for a regular dagger, and make it have cool prongs that lower the DTN.  Simple.

Tonfa:  I'm sticking with my interpretation.  You can get a custom-made club, the stats there are simply for a regular, every-day club.  Ogre clubs (wielded only by, well, ogres and oni) would have more range, higher DTN and higher damage.  Perhaps a higher ATN as well.  Small clubs would have stats modified in the other direction, for the most part.

It's not that I'm against turning it into Ninjas Night Out, but that I think it's really unneccessary to make "official" statistics for these things.  I mean, you can take what I'm saying and make those "official" guidelines if you REALLY want to.  The beauty of TROS is, as I see it, the malleability of everything.  YOU get to make up the rules and errata for everything that comes up.  I dunno, some people might not like that so much.
Lance Meibos
Insanity takes it's toll.  Please have exact change ready.

Get him quick!  He's still got 42 hit points left!

DaR

Quote from: LyraxIt's not that I'm against turning it into Ninjas Night Out, but that I think it's really unneccessary to make "official" statistics for these things.  I mean, you can take what I'm saying and make those "official" guidelines if you REALLY want to.  The beauty of TROS is, as I see it, the malleability of everything.  YOU get to make up the rules and errata for everything that comes up.  I dunno, some people might not like that so much.

I think the point was not asking for official versions so much as the sorts of things that might make good, but very clearly fan, supplemental material.  For those nights you really do want to run Ninjaburger using the TROS rules.  Think of it as the equivilent of the dozens of fan d20 and AD&D websites with their own fan classes and races based on things from books, comics, movies, etc, or just made up wholesale.  They're not official by any means, but a group can choose to allow them in their game.  And these supplements would be put for much the same reason: because someone, somewhere, might find them useful, and save someone the effort of doing their own interpretation.

-DaR

--
Dan Root
Dan Root

Ace

Thanks Dan, thats exacly what I had in mind. As to Sai being about the same a parrying dagger, well  caveats is  a sai is heavier than a parry dagger AFAIK and   Sais/Jittes were used with their own styles not a secondary weapon.  Otherwise I would agree, stats are pretty much the same.

Tonfa, I have only played around with them I need more feedback but for now I would probably use club stats as you suggested, lower dtn by 1 and lower range a catagory.  Again they were used with a different style.

As an example a bokken is used with whatver Kenjutsu skill you would use  a Katana with  I imagine it would be something rather longsword like

However a Tonfa would not be used as a  substitute for a Wakazasi they way you might substitute a club for your sword.

Still I appreciate the common sense in your feedback, thanks...