News:

Forum changes: Editing of posts has been turned off until further notice.

Main Menu

What's in a name?

Started by Xeriar, June 07, 2007, 01:01:38 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Xeriar

Well, I've been mulling over my setting, and have decided to split it in two.  I'm going to make 'Solar Storms' the sortof timeline-setting aspect, while the end result... an entirely different beast.

My main problem is what to call it.  I've currently narrowed it down to four possibilities, though others may float along.

Astrum Parvulus

Theonoesis

Silver Reign

Silverin

Before I give any sort of context, which is the most attractive?

Now for context...

Astrum Parvulus - Means 'Star Child' in Latin.  In the setting, it is the final stage of human development - homo sapiens sapiens -> homo sapiens panacea -> homo supernus -> homo excelsior -> astrum parvulus.  In a sense, it's a goal, a form of true immortality that precious few ever achieve.

Theonoesis - Means 'God Thought' in Greek, roughly.  In terms of the setting, it is roughly equivalent to Enlightenment - a perfect state of mind that a being can achieve.  It's a prerequisite of sorts for becoming/joining/whatever astrum parvulus.

The above two share a rather nasty flaw in that they are not going to be the initial focus of the setting.  They operate on a different level than humans, and though I'm perfectly willing to expand into that, starting there does not seem healthy.

Silverin - In the setting, a person, sortof.  'Humans' still exist, of course, but the exact term is also muddied, for concepts like humane and humanity.  The sorts of people that even remember why people came to call themselves the Silverin are the same types that remember that Earth used to be a planet and not an element.  That is, powerful, distant, enigmatic, and not talking.

Silver Reign - The complete extent of mankind's dominance across the cosmos, as opposed to those similarly cosmic forces that oppose it.  It refers both to the immense size and duration of the 'reign', and it is more appropriately considered 'rule' in the sense that humans 'rule' Earth, instead of a suggestion that they are universally organized, coordinated, or cooperative.  Even moreso as communication is rather limited.

Does context change any ideas?

Thanks in advance.
Solar Storms - a science fantasy setting that will eventually become an RPG.

Justin Nichol - BFG

I vote Astrum Parvulus, because I prefer it to silverin and Silver Reign and Theoneosis is a tongue knot, it can be said, but it'll trip people up in talking about your game.

J. Scott Timmerman

Quote from: Xeriar on June 07, 2007, 01:01:38 AM
The above two share a rather nasty flaw in that they are not going to be the initial focus of the setting.  They operate on a different level than humans, and though I'm perfectly willing to expand into that, starting there does not seem healthy.

When I sit and think about the names of settings I've played in, the ones I view as "successful" tend to have something more descriptive of the generally evoked traits of the setting.  The names seem to usually relate to the main characters or to what they're doing.

All the names have a cool ring to them.  Since some of the others seem too distant, my vote is for Silver Reign.  However, perhaps a slang term/synonym for the same words might work just as well.

A question, though.  If this is a game setting, what will the players likely be doing?  If you can relate it to politics/war, kinda like "Crest of the Stars," Silver Reign works great, as you're really talking about keeping peace, stability, and control among the galaxies.

But if you're talking more about characters who do business transactions, small-scale combat, or search for philosophical meaning or historical truth in a hyperadvanced setting, maybe another name would be appropriate.  If play is varied between them, perhaps it should represent the theme or mood instead.

-Jason T.

Xeriar

It's actually a backdrop setting - providing a set of common features (and rules) for a number of ideas that I have, and a means to tie them together.  That's its purpose.

Though it's nominally a science fantasy setting, there are entire reaches of civilization that have forgotten that the stars were anything but points of light.  But the 'gods' speak 'Silverin' or 'the Silver Tongue', or whatever they choose to call it, and thus, so do they.

Xeriar

Well, since I've had no further comments and Silver Reign seemed to be the more logical one, I went and made a logo >_>

Xeriar

Quote from: Xeriar on June 09, 2007, 07:46:14 AM
Well, since I've had no further comments and Silver Reign seemed to be the more logical one (edit: and generally more popular), I went and made a logo >_>

Xeriar

...need sleep, thought I saw modify button >_>  Sorry.

Ron Edwards

Hello,

This thread has to be closed now. There's no real basis for discussion, as the topic is an opinion poll. Xeriar, the only person who can decide upon a good title is you.

Also, although I actually enjoy seeing your enthusiasm about the title, don't post images here at the Forge. Link to them instead.

No more posting to this thread, please.

Best, Ron