Home
Help
Login
Register
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
November 01, 2014, 01:05:51 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Forum changes: Editing of posts has been turned off until further notice.
Search:     Advanced search
275647 Posts in 27717 Topics by 4283 Members Latest Member: - otto Most online today: 61 - most online ever: 429 (November 03, 2007, 04:35:43 AM)
Pages: [1]
Print
Author Topic: First play - a transcript and some questions  (Read 2419 times)
Felon
Registree

« on: June 18, 2007, 02:04:17 PM »

John Harper

flip you for real

« Reply #1 on: June 18, 2007, 02:55:00 PM »

You just made my day! This post is so awesome.

Felon, you *totally* understand this game. All of your rulings are spot-on. You used the system perfectly to cover the cases that came up in your game. This AP is like a template for black-belt level Agon play.

I'm just blown away. I can't stop grinning. The battle against the sea is so cool!

Oh, and to answer your question #2:
Absolutely. You can spend strife during battle (or any time) to make things tougher. You shouldn't spend Strife directly on the NPC if it will take it over the NPC limit, though (obviously). But yes, if you want to buy extra d8s (or whatever) to make things harder here and there, go for it.

Agon: An ancient Greek RPG. Prove the glory of your name!
Cam

Things can always go worse and often will

« Reply #2 on: June 19, 2007, 07:39:28 AM »

Exelent and cool sounding play, gratz!

How often you use Battle comparing to Simple contest?

-cam-

J.Luukkonen
mysterious hu
Registree

« Reply #3 on: June 19, 2007, 12:31:34 PM »

I was one of those brave/foolhardy/thoughly hosed and railroaded heroes.

We had three battles with the postion track - one versus the two head snake, one versus the octopus and one versus the sea (I half killed the Aegian Sea you know - ask me about it sometime). We had a couple of simple conflicts - convincing the captain to take us to the other island and making our way through the enemy camp and into the beseiged city.

Over all we spent about about 5 hours playing, which was perhaps a bit long without a break. However, we only really started to flag towards the end and that was lack of food rather than boredom (although I did manage to see off two tubes of Pringles and eight pints of diet soda; so maybe I was suffering from salt/artificial sweetner poisoning).

I blew through a lot of my skills in the fight against the snake. I kept on taxing my skills to try and get advantages against the monster, and never really recovered. We were too worried to spend much time in r&r as we knew that this would give our nemisis extra striff to throw at us.

Next time we play I will probably use more devine favour and less skill use (I can't remember what it is called - when you roll another skill to try and boost your result and take a point level of exhaustion on the rolled skill). It became clear that a quick bit of prayer could recover lost devine favour a lot faster than I could recover multiple skills; of course, a better Music Skill would have helped; but then what does Sarkophagos, son of Deimos, grandson of dread Ares, grandnephew of almighty Eris, need of the effeit art of music?! Fear me!

All in all, a fun game and the sense that we were battling against a balanced challenge gave a sense of structure often missing from other rpgs. I did find the fiddling with a fist full of dice a bit wearing over time; however that could be easily assuaged by taking an occassional break to rest the brain.
mysterious hu
Registree

« Reply #4 on: June 20, 2007, 12:08:35 PM »

Re-reading Felon's post I think the question he was asking is was it okay that he spent Strife to add extra dice directly to monsters' rolls - for example spending a few points to add an extra die to an attack made by a tenticle minion. Whether this affects the effective Strife Cost of the monster and pushes it over the limit?

One thing I noticed in the game was the clear "grass is greener" effect - where Felon moaned about the feebleness of his monstrocities while we quailed as they rolled a torrent of dice at our exhausted Heroes. Simply because we were not suffering direct injury, it seemed to appear to him that we were sailing thorugh the encounters. From our side of the creeping barrage, we could just view our tattered armour and exhausted skills and wonder if we had the where with all to make it to our next rest stop.

The fact that both sides felt they were being put upon is probably a convincing argument for the system being balanced - however, Felon did admit that he still had 19 strife left over when the dust cleared and Athena told us we had suceeded in our mission. This just makes me think that he eventually let us win - maybe this is the secret to our future success; we just have to withold his food until he gives in!
John Harper

flip you for real

« Reply #5 on: June 20, 2007, 01:10:42 PM »

Ah, I see. Adding extra d8s directly to a monster's roll isn't technically allowed. What you can do, though, is buy an advantage, and then add the advantage d8 to one roll during the battle. Maybe that's what Felon was doing. The difference is, advantages are specific in-world things, so the heroes could do something clever to make them hard to apply (like running on shore to nullify a 'at home in the water' advantage).

If Felon kicked your butts and also ended with unspent Strife then he is playing very well. :-) Now the gauntlet has been thrown. Can the heroes stomp all his stuff next time and make him run out? That's a special kind of victory. Smiley

Agon: An ancient Greek RPG. Prove the glory of your name!
Pages: [1]
Print
Jump to: