News:

Forum changes: Editing of posts has been turned off until further notice.

Main Menu

Hey everyone New guy here

Started by Abhoth, July 15, 2007, 11:48:25 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Abhoth

hi all im so new to Sorcerer that I dont even have any of the books yet, for some reason the indie press website is down, anyone got an any ideas?

That aside, Im looking for setting a modern day game focusing on the interaction of a few specific people and the occult world, my idea heavly involved the use of demons as allies, protagionsts and even lovers. It has a lot of heavy rp to it. This game seems awesome for my idea and I really like its concept in general. Would any of you be able to give me a feel for the game beyond what hte website has told me?

Ron Edwards

Hello and welcome! Given what you've stated, I do indeed think that Sorcerer will float your boat.

It so happens that another fellow recently arrived at the forum, and what we discussed in his thread seems like it will suit you too: So what's Sorcerer about anyway?. Check it out and return to this thread to ask any questions or bring up any concerns you might have.

Best, Ron

Ron Edwards

Oh yeah, forgot: the place to buy the game is at Indie Press Revolution, specifically this page.

Best, Ron

zomben

Count me in the 'new guy' realm as well.  I ordered my copy of both Sorcerer and Sorcerer & Sword the other day; looks like they should be showing up today or tomorrow.  From what I've been reading, it seems like a fab game.  I've already got a couple of ideas on using it with a sort of noir/occult modern setting (wrote a bit about that here: http://zomben.blogspot.com/2007/07/city.html), and a pulpy 'blasted wasteland' fantasy setting.

Looking forward to getting them, and joining in the discussion here!

Ron Edwards

Well cool! Please let me know what you think. Modern noir and blasted pulp wastelands "R" us!

Best, Ron

zomben

Will do!  The 'blasted wasteland' setting is something I've been fiddling with for years now.  Sort of a post-apocalypse fantasy...  "Conan" meets "Ralph Bakshi's Wizards" if it were a Hollywood pitch.  I originally sketched it out years ago as an alternate setting for the "Stormbringer" RPG, before shelving it. I think it will be a great match for S&S.

Abhoth

Hey Ron, Sex & Sorcery appears to be out of stock on the website are more copeis coming soonish? Also in regards to the place where demons come from in the book (I havent got my books yet so I cant read it myself) is there a "official" setting per se and is there room for creation of your own infernal worlds/dimensions/twisting nethers etc ?

Cheers

Abhoth

Another question from the new guy here or 2. First question is in my game part of the mythology im going with is that one of the highest goals a sorcerer can acheive is the transforamtion, or even self-diefication into a Demon. First of all is somthing like this possible in the rule set of Sorcerer or would it be easy to work out? Somthing similar along this lines (sorta a World of Warcraft concept-I do like the demonology of that game, before the developers fcuked the story to death) is the ability of certain demons or demonic essence to taint a area/locale or person with demonic taint which would eventually demonify them, that is also a concept I would like to explore again is somthing like that possilbe in sorcerer.

Lastly what about Demon Player Characters? can that be done?

Cheers all

Ron Edwards

Hi there,

Sex & Sorcery needs to be re-printed, and that mainly relies on me being organized. I'll call up the printer and order new ones. After that, it takes about six weeks or so, maybe a bit more.

There is no official setting for Sorcerer. The main rulebook suggests that you use the real world (a slightly different concept from "modern world setting" as usually employed in role-playing) and provides an example based on how I did that oh, over ten years ago now. So that's a setting that's provided as an example, but not for you to "play in" necessarily.

The other supplements all provide one or more sample settings using the same philosophy, more as example and rules-illustration than as ready-made "all done for you" module. I know people use them, and obviously, I certainly have (that's how I made them, mostly), but again, they're in the books mainly for learning purposes rather than insta-use.

Transformation into a demon (or conversely, from demon to human) is most thoroughly covered in The Sorcerer's Soul, and there's a specialized version of the idea also in Sorcerer & Sword.

Demon player-characters are only possibly through those transformation rules, and any number of rules allow one to play a very demonic person. However, "demon" as a baseline concept is not suitable for player-characters. In the source material, you'll find that many demon-as-hero characters are human in a thematic sense and thus would be treated as having Humanity (rather than Power) in the Sorcerer rules.

Best, Ron

angelfromanotherpin

One of the best ways to play a Demon-like character is to have a Sorcerer with a Parasite Demon.  Feeding a Demon's Need for blood by guzzling it down yourself rather than by throwing blood bank packets at your 'pet' can really blur the lines between Sorcerer and Demon. 

I have had some success with having players portray Demons, but these were people who understood, accepted, and embraced that Demons are not -tagonists in the way that Sorcerers are. 
-My real name is Jules

"Now that we know how many angels can dance on the head of a pin, how do we determine how many angels are dancing, at a given time, on the head of a given pin?"
"What if angels from another pin engaged them in melee combat?"

James_Nostack

Regarding blasted waste land Sword & Sorcery games - an almost ridiculously well-documented Actual Play post explains what it's like to GM Sorcerer and the story stays pretty true to the source material.

--Stack

zomben

Awesome.  I'll check that out in more depth ASAP.

So, I got my copies of Sorcerer and Sorcerer and Sword in the mail the other day.  I've had a chance to read about half of the core book, and am quite enjoying it. I've also given S&S a pretty thorough skim, and love it.  I'm totally looking forward to running my 'blasted wasteland with sorcerous vampire overlords' game at some point.