Home
Help
Login
Register
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
September 17, 2014, 11:37:33 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Forum changes: Editing of posts has been turned off until further notice.
Search:     Advanced search
275647 Posts in 27717 Topics by 4283 Members Latest Member: - otto Most online today: 64 - most online ever: 429 (November 03, 2007, 04:35:43 AM)
Pages: [1] 2
Print
Author Topic: [sic] Cyber Barbarians  (Read 3275 times)
Anders Larsen

« on: July 20, 2007, 02:31:10 PM »

I go with set D here.

A few hundred years in the future the world are controlled by a seven big corporations. These corporations are incomprehensible complex, and no one really know who controls them, but the best guess is that it is not really humans, but intelligent computers, who makes the important decisions. The corporations are seen, by the common person, as being religions, and their central computer systems are views as gods.

Because of cybernetic implants people can be integrated into The Net to a degree so the virtual reality and the real reality seems to cross over. Especially computer savvy people can reach a state of transcendence where the two realities becomes one.

There is a few people who is not part of any of the seven corporation. On The Net some rouge AI have formed over times, which are look upon as being pagan entities, and which can give the same power on The Net as the AIs of the big corporations. People who worships these entities are called Cyber Barbarians. You will find these people at the lowest part of the cities where they fight for their right to exists, and in general are of annoyance for the people of the big corporations.

There Cyber Barbarians are what you will play in this game.

This is just some sketchy thoughts, and it may be to big to fit into four pages, but I think it is a idea  that will be fun to work with

- Anders

Filip Luszczyk

roll-player

« Reply #1 on: July 20, 2007, 02:51:16 PM »

Yes, sounds like a cool setting concept. We'll see what will come out of it.

Also, remember to link to your main feedback thread from the main thread, for clarity (it will help me in creating a master list of participants, if it turns out feedback groups are needed).

ja-prozac

nerd with an attitude

« Reply #2 on: July 21, 2007, 01:09:02 AM »

I want some bloody and unspeakably horrifing rituals before altars made of barely working hardware junk
in deserted postindustrial complexes.
Anders Larsen

« Reply #3 on: July 21, 2007, 05:17:15 AM »

I want some bloody and unspeakably horrifing rituals before altars made of barely working hardware junk
in deserted postindustrial complexes.

It is actually something like this I am thinking about.

- Anders

Björn K. Johansson

« Reply #4 on: July 22, 2007, 06:24:13 AM »

Anders Larsen

« Reply #5 on: July 22, 2007, 03:28:07 PM »

Reprobus

« Reply #6 on: July 22, 2007, 08:24:38 PM »

I have to realize that I no longer like the CP settings, but this one could have something in it with those biker-barbarian-hacker-crusaders. Cheesy

My SIC thread about cowboys, pirates and splatterpunk: Disguised by Borrowed Plumes
Vulpinoid

Kitsune Trickster

« Reply #7 on: July 22, 2007, 08:33:08 PM »

I could see a hundred pages of setting source material for this alone.

Forget the game.

V

A.K.A. Michael Wenman
Vulpinoid Studios The Eighth Sea now available for as a pdf for $1.
Filip Luszczyk

roll-player

« Reply #8 on: July 22, 2007, 10:04:36 PM »

I suppose you can fit the key concepts in four pages, and still have a page or so of mechanics. The problematic thing might be the list of implants, but they could be easily covered by making them freeform traits that work the same mechanically (e.g. offer rerolls a limited number of times per session, or whatever), with some examples given.

I like the setting, anyway Smiley

ja-prozac

nerd with an attitude

« Reply #9 on: July 23, 2007, 11:44:58 AM »

The setting is strong enough to work with minimal outlining. Write it in juicy and evocative
way and people will tell themselves the rest. Check Kumquat Tattoo, short setting but better
than hundred pages long bulky tomes. 
xenopulse

Heretic Forgite

« Reply #10 on: July 23, 2007, 03:38:24 PM »

Yeah, not much to say on my end except that I enjoy the setting as well Smiley  And I think you can either go Filip's way and have freeform traits for cybernetics, or make a little box with eight or ten components that people can fit together at various costs.

Anders Larsen

« Reply #11 on: July 24, 2007, 05:30:59 PM »

Yes, the setting seems to be rather big right now, but I think it should be possible to focus it so I can squeeze the important part onto two to three pages. The problem is now, that the system I am thinking about also seems to fill a lot. So here we go: The Mechanics.

Implants

A character consists of a number of implants which corresponds to abilities or traits. Each implant have two values, one for the physical world and one for the virtual world.

An exception for this is the Bridge implant, which only one value (combine physical and virtual). The Bridge value denote the basic ability of the character (the Bridge will probably start at 6 for all characters)

Following is the other implants:

Power Sword: This is your character's fighting ability. Primarily this is, of course, sword fighting.

Natural biker: The character's ability to ride a bike.

Super strength: This implant arguments the character's strength.

Tactical instinct: A barbarian can really not be described intelligent, but they can posses a natural instinct for making good tactical decisions.

Panther agility: This implant arguments the character's agility.

Wild presence:

Vulpinoid

Kitsune Trickster

« Reply #12 on: July 24, 2007, 09:21:10 PM »

The setting is strong enough to work with minimal outlining. Write it in juicy and evocative
way and people will tell themselves the rest. Check Kumquat Tattoo, short setting but better
than hundred pages long bulky tomes. 

Point taken.

Good evocative text can bring a lot more to light than dry descriptions of every NPC and location descriptions that detail every spot of rust and dying weed.

Keeping things minimal tends to allow much more freedom for GMs as well, rather than having players who pull out a copy of the rules and say "But that's not what's written on page 67!".

All I was trying to say is that I thought this type of setting had a lot of potential in it.

V

A.K.A. Michael Wenman
Vulpinoid Studios The Eighth Sea now available for as a pdf for $1.
Anders Larsen

« Reply #13 on: July 25, 2007, 07:11:02 AM »

To try to get more into the feeling of the setting I have made a rough sketch (very rough) of a cyberbarian

I have thought a bit about the situation stuff. Basically there will be two kinds of achievements the character should aim for. The one is the personal achievement and the other is the religious achievement.

The personal achievement is some kind of mission or challenge the player decide. It can be something the character do for himself, for his friend or family or for his clan. It should be sufficient complicated so it will take about one session of play to resolve it. The Trouble which are generated will play into this by complicating the achievement, and the Trouble will be removed when the achievement have been resolved.

A resolved personal achievement will give some kind of advancements that can be used on the physical part of the character (Special Actions and the physical value if the implants). After the achievement have been resolved the player can make a new one.

The religious achievement is some kind of mission which is dictated by the pagan AIs (the GM). This happen when the character have accumulate sufficient Blessings. A religious achievement can ether be to convert a person to you own religion or to kill some important person of an other religion. The more Blessing which have been accelerated the harder the challenge will be, and the Blessings will first clear when the achievement have been resolved.

A resolved religious achievement will advance the virtual part of the implants.

- Anders

Filip Luszczyk

roll-player

« Reply #14 on: July 25, 2007, 07:37:13 AM »

I like what I see so far. Evocative gonzo setting and pretty tight mechanics - looks like something I'd play Smiley

Defining the character entirely by his implants sounds like a good idea. However, the word "natural" doesn't look well in the implant list - I'd suggest making it "augmented", "enhanced" or whatever.

Wounds could work kind of like DitV Fallout - i.e. I suggest making it rather "consequences" than "injury". After the conflict the player could roll to check if consequences result in personal growth or some long-lasting penalties.

Pages: [1] 2
Print
Jump to: