News:

Forum changes: Editing of posts has been turned off until further notice.

Main Menu

[sic] First Thoughts on SET B

Started by Reprobus, July 22, 2007, 03:39:58 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Reprobus

I'd like to check in too :)

I'm notorious for not finishing anything, but it would be great if I could change this. Also I'm not a native english speaker, but I'll try to give my best!

At first sight SET B (Setting: pirate/western.+Theme: search-for-identity/splatterpunk story.) is the most sympathetic.

My first thoughts regarding this SET:

Setting:
One thing is sure, I need pirates and I need cowboys (I hope they will do for western). Pirates can be found on ships and ships can be found in water... or they can be found in space, so ships in space = pirates in space. :) Cowboys are the gunslinger guys... bandits, bounty hunters and stuff... but wait, bounty hunters and gunslinger could live on some spaceships too (just like Spike Spiegel and friends from the series Cowboy Bebop). So my setting is centered around space cowboys, space pirates and space ships/stations.

Theme:
Splatterpunk: I need a brutal sociopath... A serial killer on the loot... What loot? Personality marks...
Search-for-Identity: I have a serial killer with personality marks collected. What to do with him? Yes, he collects these marks, because he lacks on them and is jealous on their owners. He knows only one way to get these marks: to kill the owner.   

Now I have some space cowboys, space pirates and a serial killer who hunts for personality marks but I don't have any idea on how to bind them.

The players could be the owners of some personality marks, or they could be killers. I'd like to mix these two possibilities, so one player will be the hunter and all others are potential prey.
OR
They could be all hunters and the game could be a competition: Who collects the most/best/etc. personality marks? (just like collecting scalps - another western component)
OR
anything else, but just now I have no other ideas... :)

Mechanics:
I want to use some auction based mechanics with a fixed amount of resources, but I don't know if something like this will fit the setting. I don't want this game to be about resource management, but I also don't want to use dices.   

So much for now. Could something like this work?

My SIC thread about cowboys, pirates and splatterpunk: Disguised by Borrowed Plumes

Filip Luszczyk

Space pirates, smart :)

Maybe the pirates are the sociopaths, raiding planets and stations for those marks, and cowboys/bounty hunters are there to stop them?

But I'm afraid I don't have any good idea for non-random mechanic that wouldn't involve resource management. You could use cards somehow - they would fit the western component well. Maybe the auction involves bidding cards from hand, or maybe it's all simply based on poker?

Reprobus

I have an idea for a one shot, where pirates and cowboys are trapped alike in a space station. The cowboys are hunting the pirates. The pirates want to get away (they need to find some fittings for their ship before they can move on). And if this all wouldn't be bad enough one of the pirates/bounty-hunters is a psychopath, who now being under high pressure wants to complete his life's goal: to acquire those personality marks which can change him/her to a person he would like to be. The game could end with all the envied personality marks acquired by the psychopath or in case he dies somehow, with one group's goal achieved.

I'm not sure I want to go with this idea, but until now this is the most complete one. :)       
My SIC thread about cowboys, pirates and splatterpunk: Disguised by Borrowed Plumes

Reprobus

Oh yes I forgot this:

I want to add some rock-and-roll stuff to the game (this should strengthen the splatterpunk side). Some Alice Cooper titles or lyrics or ...

It is sure that from now on I will have an eye open for the unlikely savior and the elvis challenge because the ideas there could be a great source for inspiration. :) So guys - if you are reading this, or even if not - start workin'! :)

xenopulse

Cool stuff.

How about making it a three player game? You wanted to mix up the killers and hunters, so why not have one killer, one pirate, and one cowboy? And then they're all intertwined and compete. So the cowboy (law and order representative) is hunting the killer (sociopath) and the pirate (anarchist/criminal). The pirate tries to get rid of the cowboy and seeks vengeance on the killer. And the killer just wants to gain as many kills as possible.

Reprobus

Interesting idea...

3 players, no GM, card and auction based mechanics (this is not sure) and one winner at the end... wow... I never played an RPG like this, so it would be a real challenge to design it. I like the on-shot idea more (or at least it would be more comfortable to work on it), but this challenge won't let me rest. :)

So Dear SIC Participants I need your help. Any idea or reference is welcome!

Chainsaw Aardvark

Perhaps it can be a struggle with the cowboy/pirate memes.

The today's general view of pirates is is by and large established by "Treasure Island" and the movies based there on. In real life, many cargoes were taken without a shot fired, and piracy was just a built in premium on insurance statements.

Similarly, what we think of cowboys is quite wrong. Cap and ball pistols would still be used even in the height of what the US populace thinks as the wild west, and even the newer guns were unreliable.

So perhaps we have the cowboys/pirates attempting to hunt down a murderous rouge that is impinging on their good name so to speak. Either the players want to establish the movie reality of their existence to the population at large, or they are sick of it and want to prove they are more than stereotypes.

For that matter, what does a do these people do in space? Hunting ships on the open ocean is hard enough. In open space its nearly impossible. A literally infinite horizon means you can't sneak up on the target, and the cosmos is too vast to just patrol. Nor are there cattle to graze etc. Kind of a struggle to identify yourself/find purpose when floating in a vacuum without the standard backdrop to your character.

There is a movie called Oblivion (see a review athttp://www.badmovies.org/movies/oblivion/index.html) which is essentially a western set on another planet. Might the game begin the cowboys peacefully grazing their two headed cattle until some pirates pull into the space port? Rangers holding off the scum of the universe until the Calvary arrives. Conversly, it could be a group of raiders  who want to keep their base a secret trying to scare off homesteaders and ranchers.

If the game is about stereotypes, then players can gain points to bid by either acting with or against type. (Depending on if you want to take the foster the myth or escape the lies angle) Both memes have elements of honor - "The code of the west"/"Parlay" and thus trust can be literally put on the line.

Resources available for bids:
Booty/Cattle (riches)
Oxygen/Fuel (its in space)
Honor
Hit points/Willpower
Icons (Spurs, hat, eye patch, parrots - miscellaneous elements of the meme/myth)

You mentioned you were not a native English speaker. Where are you from, and what are the local perceptions of these characters? Obviously, I'm working from the stories of USA wild west and Caribbean pirates.

Filip Luszczyk

Heh, and I was about to suggest something similar to Christian's idea :)

Now, there are different possible ways to approach a design without central GM, but generally you need to consider what the GM would do in the game if there was one, and distribute these tasks among the group somehow. One rather easy way that I think would fit here would be to actually have a GM-player, but rotating with every scene.

For example, cowboy's (or pirate's or killer's) player is the GM in the first scene - and it's up creates a scene in which the pirate confronts the killer somehow (not necessarily combat scene, but some conflicted situation between the two). Then, pirate's player takes over, and creates a scene to pit cowboy against killer. Then, killer's player takes GM function, and creates a cowboy vs. pirate scene. And so on, and on. If one of the players gets eliminated, he could either play another character from the crew (if pirate or bounty hunter), or take the role of the GM for the rest of the game. Something in these lines :)

Reprobus

First of all thanks for the comments and ideas. You all are a great help to me! (... this is a lie. reading the comments and all the other games I find so many awesome ideas and possibilities, I can't decide what to use and this fact makes everything a lot harder :))

Aardvark:
I'm from Transilvania and a cowboy here is a cowboy seen in well known western movies and a pirate is a someone from the Carribean or perhaps an english or french captain who hunts the ships at the open sea. (or a hacker maybe...)

Eventually I could give the setting a local flavor by changing a bit the cowboys and/or the pirates but I have problems including the splatterpunk as theme.   

I'm really tired now and tomorrow will be a hard day, so I don't know if I'll be able to work on my game, but I'll be back as soon as possible.

Reprobus

Quote from: Filip Luszczyk on July 23, 2007, 02:49:24 PM

One rather easy way that I think would fit here would be to actually have a GM-player, but rotating with every scene.

I have something like this in mind. It seems the cowboy's and the pirate's players will have to play the whole crew, using all the members or just some of them in the scenes, but the killer's player will have only one character at disposal.

more on this tomorrow...

ja-prozac

Have problem with splatter part? Cowboy Bebop/Alien/Friday 13th mix will do this all!
Also you can always go for space western style or some Dark Angel(the film with
Dolph Lubdgren).
Tylko skurwysyny nie kochają króliczków!

Reprobus

I'll try to sum up the ideas which I want to use:

a game for 3 players
GM change for every scene
Scenes:

• cowboys and pirates
  • cowboys and psychopath
  • pirates and psychopath
character/crew generation process should be placed in the first no-combat-involved scenes

Questions:
Should the players controlling the cowboy(s) and pirate(s) direct just a single character, or the whole crew? What are the difficulties if they are controlling the whole crew? I would like them to control the crew because in this case the killer has more potential victims... or the victims could be some NPCs played by the actual GM, so there would be no need for directing more characters (or one with more followers).

What should happen in scenes which don't involve fighting? The game needs such scenes, so the killer can picture his future victims. Besides this, I want the first no-combat-involved scenes to serve as character/crew generation process.

It seems that, contrary to the original concept I'm the one with the questions... :)   

Reprobus

no game yet, but I found a title that could suit this thread/game more than the actual one: Disguised by Borrowed Plumes

Any opinion?

Filip Luszczyk

Hmm, I'm not sure if I like the title.

Anyway, consider this: pirate/cowboy players could control their whole crews, but play only one crew member at a time. The rest of the crew wouldn't have to have any impact on the scene, other than serving as "HP meter" and color. Mostly red, I suppose :)

Reprobus

ok, then still working on the title :)

Compared to most other participants, I'm seemingly stuck with my idea... no system... no solid concept... but I'm working hard on it :)

A splinter of today's produce:
I want to use cards for character generation, so there would be 8 attributes – two for spades, hearts etc. The cards containing numbers are standing for the firs 4 attributes like strength, dexterity etc. and the jack, king, queen and ace are symbolizing four personality marks.

Every player gets randomly a numbered card for the 4 attributes of his actual character, and he gets, also randomly, a single card of jack, queen etc. Based on these cards the plazer now knows the numerical attributes of his char and the most exciting side of the characters personality.

Sorry if I made more grammar or spelling mistakes than usual, but I'm very tired and can't concentrate right now.