News:

Forum changes: Editing of posts has been turned off until further notice.

Main Menu

Use of the Myers-Briggs trademark

Started by Robert Bohl, October 12, 2007, 12:10:25 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Robert Bohl

Hey folks,

From what I can tell by reading http://www.mbtitoday.org/FEB2004TMGuidelines.pdf it looks like if I use Myers-Briggs in my game design, I may do so as long as I use the appropriate trademark symbol.

Anyone think I'm getting this wrong, in an IANAL way?
Game:
Misspent Youth: Ocean's 11 + Avatar: The Last Airbender + Snow Crash
Shows:
Oo! Let's Make a Game!: Joshua A.C. Newman and I make a transhumanist RPG

Vulpinoid

That seems to be what I'm reading from the material.

I wouldn't apply this logic to other companies though.

I deal with Apple computer on a regular basis at work and they have some very strict policies and procedures regarding the use of many of their trademarks, images and iconography.

V
A.K.A. Michael Wenman
Vulpinoid Studios The Eighth Sea now available for as a pdf for $1.

Clyde L. Rhoer

Hi Rob,

They are talking about how to use their trademark. That has nothing to do with their copyright of the writing in those books. A Trademark is a phrase and/or graphic that is used to identify a product, or products. Also always keep in mind that even when you have a "right" to use something, it costs money to prove it in court.

I'm not saying you can't make a game that uses Myers-Briggs identifiers of personality types, I'm saying that the page you link to is only talking about proper use of their trademarks. I can't answer if there are possible dangers of using Myers-Briggs identifiers to create a game.
Theory from the Closet , A Netcast/Podcast about RPG theory and design.
clyde.ws, Clyde's personal blog.

MatrixGamer

It would be worth checking to see if there is an early version of the Myers Briggs that is public domain. That is the case with a lot of psych tests. I know the Beck Depression inventory is like that.

Chris Engle
Hamster Press
also a social worker
Chris Engle
Hamster Press = Engle Matrix Games
http://hamsterpress.net