News:

Forum changes: Editing of posts has been turned off until further notice.

Main Menu

[Galactic] Importance of setting

Started by Brad Murray, October 24, 2007, 02:13:06 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Brad Murray

After Clinton Nixon's recent hard line discussion on the relevance of very specific setting details in TSOY to playing the game he intended to deliver, I need to ask you about setting in Galactic in order to give it a fair shake in play testing.  Critically, section 2 appears to be the kind of thing that players might come up with at the table, possibly different for each game, but it is presented without any hint of mutabililty.  Do you consider the material in section 2 to be essential to playing the game "correctly" or is there an essence we can distill (something like "there are spaceships and aliens -- go nuts") from it that allows the play you intend but does not require adherence to the setting details you provide?  If the latter then it would be nice to see that essence spelled out and the fact that section two is an example and not the only place to play made clear.

Thanks!

aka Halfjack

Matt Wilson

Section Two is the setting of the game, where the game is supposed to be played. It includes example worlds, cultures and organizations, (all presented in the same format as the stuff players are supposed to create, and specifically labeled as examples) but the entire setting isn't meant to be an example in and of itself.

Hope that clarifies things.

Robert Bohl

Do you think that significantly changing that stuff would mess up the game? Specifically a friend had a problem with the "impending doom figure coming to destroy us all." I was thinking that really all you need is something for all the captains to care about at once without having to be in each other's scenes.
Game:
Misspent Youth: Ocean's 11 + Avatar: The Last Airbender + Snow Crash
Shows:
Oo! Let's Make a Game!: Joshua A.C. Newman and I make a transhumanist RPG

Brad Murray

While there are elements of the setting that I would want to change, I think I would leave the Scourge -- nebulous as it is -- untouched.  Still eager to hear Matt's thoughts though.

Matt Wilson

Quote from: Robert Bohl on October 24, 2007, 11:53:57 AM
Specifically a friend had a problem with the "impending doom figure coming to destroy us all."

It's pretty crucial to the game that you establish that the survival of the human race is at stake.

Besides, who would have a problem with that? It's the heart of BSG, Star Blazers, the Fifth Element, Lord of the Rings. What's up with your friend being so lame?