News:

Forum changes: Editing of posts has been turned off until further notice.

Main Menu

[GenCon Oz 2008] continued (split)

Started by muddlepud, January 02, 2008, 01:00:59 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

muddlepud

Just thought i'd start trying to get this thread going again.
I'm in the middle of emailing people for ideas on running Games On Demand. I'd like to submit something more solid to GenCon Oz soon for the event if people are still interested in joining me.
Scott V.
Melbourne, Australia

Peril Planet

I am still interested.  What are your thoughts - still a smorgasboard approach manned by those GM's willing to run whatever it is thye are familiar with?

Cheers
Nathan
Writer; Gamer; Lunatic.  Not necessarily in that order.

Andrew Smith

Yep, definitely still keen.  Can you post a summary of your e-mail discussions here?  Just the salient points, if you've reached some kind of conclusion or if it'll help us get this thing together.

Ron Edwards

The above posts were split from [GenCon Oz 2008] and Games on Demand. Please continue here.

Best, Ron

muddlepud

Yes - was still thinking to have each GM who can make it design their own menu. I was thinking I'd be comfortable being able to run something like 8 - 10 potential different games.
I think we need to get the event submitted in soon to the GenCon Oz people.
Scott V.
Melbourne, Australia

Vulpinoid

I'm in.

I've got accomodation being booked for a week long road-trip each way...and depending on what happens over the next couple of weeks I should be displaying as an artist up there as well.

V
A.K.A. Michael Wenman
Vulpinoid Studios The Eighth Sea now available for as a pdf for $1.

Andrew Smith

Quote from: muddlepud on January 13, 2008, 11:11:49 PM
Yes - was still thinking to have each GM who can make it design their own menu. I was thinking I'd be comfortable being able to run something like 8 - 10 potential different games.
I think we need to get the event submitted in soon to the GenCon Oz people.

Agreed.  For those of us who have volunteered to run games, what games can you offer?

muddlepud

Just putting an email here that I got back from the GenCon people:

Hi Scott,

We're still interested in having a "Games on Demand" section, but unfortunately it may be a bit beyond our capabilities for the 2008 event. While we've got plenty of empty tables open in the RPG event hall to run the games, finding the space for a HQ area for something like this is proving difficult. The official word from the organisers, at this point, is that they'd rather have the games in the Gen Con Australia schedule in advance for the first year and revisit having Games on Demand in 2009.

The options for running indy games, at this point, basically consists as follows:

1)       Get the people who were interested in running games to submit events individually using the event submission form. The upside of this option is that everyone can get access to the reimbursements available for GM's coming to the con (covering Entry and Accommodation), but it means you lack the unity you were going for with the idea.
2)       Submit events under a communal title (along the lines of Indy Game Showcase) and a bio explaining the pick-your-system concept, and allow people to choose the game when they arrive for their session. I'll do my best to make sure all your events run in the same set of tables or rooms, to give it unified feel, but people will have the options of pre-registering for the event or showing up on the day and taking up a spot using Generic Event Tickets. It'll mean that you'll have to do a short pitch and let players choose at the start of every session, rather than having a table where they can show up and ask, but it's probably the closest we can do to your original idea.

If you head on over to the Event Organiser page on the website it should lead you to all the information you need to submit events and organise things if you're running an event with multiple GMs involved. The Event Host Policy, in particular, will have a lot of information relevant to setting this up. If you've got any questions or you want to talk about other possible solutions, just e-mail or call on the number below.
Scott V.
Melbourne, Australia

muddlepud

The list of games I could put forward includes:

Primetime Adventures
Inspectres
Agon
Shooting the Moon
Spirit of the Century
Hero's Banner
My Life With Master
Cat
A Thousand And One Nights
Dread
With Great Power

I've got a few more than that, but they're the ones I feel I have a good grip on the rules. I'd probably slim that down to about 6 - 8 titles for my gaming menu.
Scott V.
Melbourne, Australia

Andrew Smith

Quote from: muddlepud on January 17, 2008, 11:32:32 PM
Just putting an email here that I got back from the GenCon people:

The options for running indy games, at this point, basically consists as follows:

1)       Get the people who were interested in running games to submit events individually using the event submission form.
2)       Submit events under a communal title (along the lines of Indy Game Showcase) and a bio explaining the pick-your-system concept, and allow people to choose the game when they arrive for their session.

Seems to me that a united front would be a better solution, and for that we need Option 2.  Other GoD GMs could help beef up the numbers if required.  However, the reward (i.e., GM reimbursement) would be missing.

If, and only if, we can get tables adjacent to each other would Option 1 work.  Otherwise it's a scattered effort and I think it would lose momentum.

Andrew Smith

So which of the options are you going ahead with?

Vulpinoid

I've just put forward an entry to run a game at GenCon OZ...I wasn't sure what the rest of you guys were doing, so I thought I'd make sure and entry went up from me anyway.

If you need any help over the course of GenCon, I'll definitely be available to provide any assistance required.

V
A.K.A. Michael Wenman
Vulpinoid Studios The Eighth Sea now available for as a pdf for $1.

muddlepud

Vulp - what's the entry you've put in?

Now that I've got Arcanacon out of the way I was going to look at getting something in myself. I was thinking the Indie Games Showcase idea would be relatively easy to get us working together.
Scott V.
Melbourne, Australia

Paul Czege

Hey Scott,

The collective title that Michael S. Miller and Kat Miller use for the slate of registered indie game events at Gen Con and Origins in the U.S. is "Indie Games Explosion," if I recall correctly.

Paul
My Life with Master knows codependence.
And if you're doing anything with your Acts of Evil ashcan license, of course I'm curious and would love to hear about your plans

Peril Planet

So what is the verdict?  Option one or two?  I am just as happy with option 1 as two, though the united front does suffer in that first scenario.

Cheers,
Nathan
Writer; Gamer; Lunatic.  Not necessarily in that order.