News:

Forum changes: Editing of posts has been turned off until further notice.

Main Menu

Capes: I need help

Started by Keiko, February 14, 2008, 01:13:28 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Keiko

First, I'd like to say that I am really fascinated by the concept of this game. But for some reason I am having the darndest time wrapping my head around the mechanics. They don't seem terribly complicated but I can't quite get them to click. Can anyone give me a very simple walk through or a link to one?

One immediate question though. Non Powered characters do not have Drives and thus cannot have Exemplars or accrue debt, correct?

TonyLB

In the Downloads section of the website, I recommend the Flash Demo, which takes you step by step.  Each step of the game has three tabs:  A narration (i.e. what happens in the story), the mechanics (i.e. how the dice and cards get shuffled around) and tactics (i.e. why the dice and cards get shuffled around).

I hope this helps!
Just published: Capes
New Project:  Misery Bubblegum

Keiko

Thanks! I saw there is some errata for the game as well .Is that in the download section?

TonyLB

Keiko

Thanks again. I was right about Non powered characters and Drives?

TonyLB

Correct.  The inability to accrue debt is, in mechanical terms, the thing that hampers non-powered characters ... far more important than the purely semantic distinction between a policeman's "Shoot Gun" and a superhero's "Shoot Laser Nano-tech Eye-Beam Cannon"

Keiko

Quote from: TonyLB on February 14, 2008, 05:50:03 PM
Correct.  The inability to accrue debt is, in mechanical terms, the thing that hampers non-powered characters ... far more important than the purely semantic distinction between a policeman's "Shoot Gun" and a superhero's "Shoot Laser Nano-tech Eye-Beam Cannon"

I really appreciate you putting up with these noob questions. The Capeslite download is helping me (and my group) immensely as well. One more question. When numbering abilities do they have to go from 1 up? If you have, for example

Shoot Gun
Street Savvy
Dirty Infighting

can you number them 2 3 4 as long as its sequential?

hix

Also, I found the Capes Lite pdf on the Downloads page to be the best walkthrough of a game I've ever read. It takes you through the whole process of a scene in really accessble language.
Cheers,
Steve

Gametime: a New Zealand blog about RPGs

Keiko

Quote from: hix on February 15, 2008, 12:03:48 AM
Also, I found the Capes Lite pdf on the Downloads page to be the best walkthrough of a game I've ever read. It takes you through the whole process of a scene in really accessible language.

It really is quite helpful!

JohnUghrin

Quote from: Keiko on February 14, 2008, 11:46:35 PM

I really appreciate you putting up with these noob questions. The Capeslite download is helping me (and my group) immensely as well.

Capeslite has my group playing it by those limited rules fairly regularly.

Quote from: Keiko on February 14, 2008, 11:46:35 PM
One more question. When numbering abilities do they have to go from 1 up? If you have, for example

Yes, you have to start from one and go up. The value of a trait is an important strategic factor.