News:

Forum changes: Editing of posts has been turned off until further notice.

Main Menu

Consistancy:Resolution mechanic

Started by Eric J., June 25, 2002, 04:40:33 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Eric J.

This mechanic is a way of simulating consistancy in dicepool systems.  I developed it for my RPG (see associated threads).  Basically, it works like this:  You have a crossbow, and are aiming for a target, off in the distance.  First, you look at your proficiancy: You have skill: ranged weapons.  You also have the proficiancy: Crossbow.  You have a base skill of 5D (Coordination) and an effective modifier of +2 (because that's how many dice your perception is).  You have an experience modifier of +1D, so you have a total skill of: 6D+2.  The words could very easily change, but that's what effect they have and what they do. So: you're aiming at this target.  You spend mabee 30 seconds on it, and think that you've got a good chance to hit it.  You would, in most systems, roll 6 dice and add 2 to it.  In my system, you would roll about 8 dice, add two, and ignore the two lowest results.  This allows in bold new debpths of realism.  For example, you can have two people with a great variation of skill.  Training your bow on the target simulates a more consistant degree of potential, instead of simulating a spontanious bonus to total abiltity.  This could apply to many things, not just crossbow shots.  I'd like to know what problems you see with it, and if it has been used before.  Thanks.

And I know the effective cons to this, rolling too many dice.  I'm now looking for resolution mechanics that decrease the (virtually sole) dice pool's weakness.  This matter is something that only alpha-testing will be able to resolve.

Ron Edwards

Hi Eric,

You have essentially described, with minor differences, the dice mechanic introduced in Legend of the Five Rings, called "keeping" in those rules.

In L5R, one has attributes and skills, both rated in numbers (usually 2-4). So say I have a 4 in Reflexes and a 3 in Leaping (can't remember if there is a Leaping skill; just makin' it up).

So my character leaps. I roll SEVEN dice (attribute + skill) and "keep" only four of them (equal to my attribute) - presumably the highest three, although a nice essay in an early supplement suggests why sometimes you might not choose the highest.

The kept dice are summed up. Also, 10's (it's a d10 system) "explode," meaning you add 10 to the total and roll the die again, adding the result.

More examples. (1) I have attribute = 1 and skill = 4. I roll five dice and keep one of them. Say one of them is a 10. I keep it, roll it again, and get a 4. My total is 14. (2) I have attribute = 4 and skill = 1. I roll five dice and keep four of them, totalling 28. Say two are 10's; I roll them both again and add the result to 28.

Best,
Ron

Eric J.

..... You know, if I create innovative new mechanics at this rate, I'll eventually get ahead of the industry....