News:

Forum changes: Editing of posts has been turned off until further notice.

Main Menu

Little Fears - some thoughts

Started by TheVorpalRabbit, June 25, 2002, 11:51:59 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

TheVorpalRabbit

Hello, I'm new to these forums buit have been lurking around the RPGnet forums for quite some time now. First off, kudos to Jason and everyone else that worked on the project for making such an original game! I just bought it yesterday and I say it was money well spent. Anyway, I have a few thoughts on the writing style I'd like to mention to you.

1. The writing is somewhat pretentious at times and that can detract from the game. Mainly this is due to the books artistic nature, but its still a game, and a bit of levity never hurt anyone ( that I know of :))

2. One reason that the some of the (good?) folks over at the RPGnet came down on you so hard is that some of the writing is misleading. It seems to point that you actually agree with what you are writing about (a fallacy, I know), that there actually are kings and a Closetland and such.

3. This game is not for the weak of heart, 'nuf said.

TheVorpalRabbit

Jason L Blair

Quote from: TheVorpalRabbit1. The writing is somewhat pretentious at times and that can detract from the game. Mainly this is due to the books artistic nature, but its still a game, and a bit of levity never hurt anyone ( that I know of :))

Pretentious?! You just don't understand my elite artiness. ;) There are things I would change about the writing style, to be sure. There is a lot I've learned about how to present game worlds/concepts to players since Little Fears' release last summer.

Quote from: TheVorpalRabbit
2. One reason that the some of the (good?) folks over at the RPGnet came down on you so hard is that some of the writing is misleading. It seems to point that you actually agree with what you are writing about (a fallacy, I know), that there actually are kings and a Closetland and such.

When writing it, I didn't want to step too far outside of the world. As a horror game, I thought it worked better to remain inside the cosmology as much as possible. I assure you, I don't really believe in Closetland. Except maybe for The Bogeyman. ;)

A lot of people point to the intro part (the statistics, etc) as a personal essay on the state of the world instead of its intended purpose as the layout and context of the included cosmology. I think some people missed the "little fears is a work of fiction" disclaimer. ;)

Anyway, thank you for your purchase! I'm glad you liked the game. Feel free to ask me any questions (either in this forum, or private message me, or email me at jason@key20.com). Also, contribute to the Little Fears Game Tools at the top of this forum, if you like.
Jason L Blair
Writer, Game Designer