News:

Forum changes: Editing of posts has been turned off until further notice.

Main Menu

[SF7] The Mindwarp of Dr. Mindbender (notes from playtest)

Started by mratomek, April 25, 2008, 12:48:47 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

mratomek

Mindwarp Madness

Hercules' girlfriend, Penny, has been kidnapped by the villainous Dr. Mindbender. Mindbender is keeping her hidden until he has time to deliver her to the criminal Senate, in hopes that the threat of harm to Penny will keep Hercules out of their business.

Pre-Game Complications

With Penny safely hidden away, Dr. Mindbender attempts to make contact with the Senate in hopes of dumping Herc's girlfriend and getting paid as quick as possible.

Mindbender's challenges a TN 10 using his +2 Mind. His first roll is a 3, for a total action roll of 5, and his second roll is a 6, for a total action roll of 9. Both attempts are failures. In the next scene of the scenario, Mindbender will be delayed 1 round from exiting his hideaway. If he had scored 2 or more successes, he would have been able to leave the hideaway 1 round earlier.

Hercules, on the other hand, is shifting through evidence at Penny's place. He uses his +5 Search power to try and find something that will lead him to their location. His challenge is a TN 10 as well. He further modifies his action rolls with his +2 Champion special ability. He rolls a 7, for a total action roll of 14, and double 4s (a critical), for a total action roll of 30. He scores a total of 5 successes, effectively delaying Mindbender's departure to round 6.

The Conflict

Dr. Mindbender has to setup first, placing Penny in the corner of an abandoned warehouse, guarded by two mercenaries, then Mindbender, then 5 more thugs. Herc makes his approach from the front.

Round 1
Herc starts with initiative and 12" away from the warehouse. His Super Strength TN is greater than the warehouse's defensive TN, so Herc decides to smash right through the wall and try and start smashing the place up. With two actions of unhindered movement--the second being a Charge attack--Herc moves 16", about 1 1/2 inches short of reaching his enemies.

Mindbender's thugs immediately surround Herc, but once again, due to Herc's Bullet Proof special ability, are unable to harm him. But by surrounding him, they weaken his defensive powers.

Mindbender immediately hits Herc with his +6 Confusion power stunning the hero. Herc's defensive TN is only 7. Normally it would be +6 Super Ego, +2 Champion, and +6 base. But since he is surrounded by thugs, his defenseive TN is reduced by half, making him more susceptible to Mindbender's will.

It is apparent from my opponent's villain selection that he is hoping to stall Herc long enough to escape with Penny and win the game without scoring a single Hit of Damage.

Round 2
Mindbender automatically wins initiative due to the fact that Herc is Confused. He moves two thugs.

Herc makes a challenge roll to overcome Mindbender's control. +6 Super Ego, +2 Champion, and  2D6 versus a TN 13 (+6 Confusion, +1 Overmind, +6 Base). He rolls 9 for a total of 17 and frees himself. He uses his second Action to attack a thug. The thugs are Minion-types and are easily eliminated. They each have a defensive TN of 5.

Hercules attacks with his +6 Super Strength, +2 Champion, +2 Mutation: Super Strength, +2 D6 for a total attack of 17. He scores 1 HIt + 1 Wound and selects a Fatality wound, instantly eliminating the Thug.

Once again, Dr. Mindbender hits Herc with his Confusion blast and has him under his control.

Round 3
Mindbender wins initiative again. Once again, the thugs move first, Herc frees himself and takes out another thug with a single attack. Dr. Mindbender once again zaps him with his Confusion power.

In three more rounds, Mindbender can escape with Penny.

Round 4
Once again Dr. Mindbender wins initiative and the thugs move. And once again, Herc escapes from Mindbender's will and eliminates another thug; however, this time, when Mindbender attacks, Herc is no longer surrounded by enough villains to weaken his defensive powers. This time Mindbender rolls to low, scoring a 10 and 13--Herc's free.

Round 5
Herc and Mindbender roll for initiative, and wins. He charges straight ahead, eliminating the thug in front of him an scoring a single Hit on Mindbender. It was a low roll, but I discovered that Mindbender doesn't have any good defensive powers versus damage.
I decide to score a Knock Back, throwing Mindbender back 6" against the back wall of the warehouse near Penny.

Mindbender recovers and controls Herc once again. This round he moves the two mercenaries and Penny towards the door.

Round 6
Mindender wins initiative.

With his first move, my friend moves the mercenaries and Penny out of the warehouse--and wins! I hope to recover a few points by pummeling Mindbender.  I blow my first challenge roll and successfully escape his control with my second. However, Mindbender nails be again--would been the ideal time for a Heroic Deed or Resist.

Mindbender moves around Herc, and with initiative, Mindbender escapes at the beginning of the 7th Round.

Frustrating but fun-Herc needs to get himself a teammate. Both players had 150 points. I dumped all my points into Herc. My friend fielded 8 characters with the same 150 points.

Maybe next time.
MrAtomek

Once upon a time ... the Earth needed to be saved ... on a regular basis.

Super Force Seven
Tactical RPG / Miniatures Wargame

www.superforceseven.com