News:

Forum changes: Editing of posts has been turned off until further notice.

Main Menu

Advantage suggestions

Started by Limejello, May 08, 2008, 11:05:31 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Limejello

Okay I have a whole mess of avantages for a fantasy rpg.  Can anyone think of any others?

Advantages

Alert
Barer
Benefactor
Contact
Good Reputation
Good With Animals
Hallowed
MARTIAL ARTS: atemijutsu, aikido, boxing, bujinkan(ninjutsu), capoeira, janna, jeet kun do,  judo, jujutsu, karate, krav maga, pankration, sambo, savate, shaolin kung fu, tae kwon do, tai chi
Land Grant
Mentor
Reverse Blade
Scion
Specialization
Supine Archer
Title
Terrifying
Wealthy

Neutral

Fanatical
Fat
Homosexual
Liege
Scarred
Rational

Flaws

Addiction
Allergy
Bad Reputation
Bad With Animals
Boor
Child
Code
Damned
Dark Secret
Dependent
Disease
Duty
Enemy
Faulty Memory
Geas
Generous
Greedy
Gutter Trash
Heir
Heretic
Hunted
Insane
Loyalty
Maimed
Master
Old
Phobia
Poor
Prejudice
Snob
Taciturn
Ugly
Uneducated
Unlucky

Vulpinoid

A few questions to consider...

Why the list?

Are you planning to incorporate these into game mechanics with specific bonuses/penalties in different situations?

Are these being used as plot driving aspects, or characterisation elements?

Why do you think "Fat" or "Homosexual" would be neutral in a fantasy setting?

V
A.K.A. Michael Wenman
Vulpinoid Studios The Eighth Sea now available for as a pdf for $1.

dindenver

Ian,
  RE: Martial Arts:
1) Why are they an Advantage and not a skill/feat/talent/etc?
2) Why are you using Modern/earth names if its a fantasy RPG, wouldn't a fantasy world develop their own Martial Arts traditions?
3) aikido, capoeira, jeet kun do, krav maga, sambo, savate were all invented in the last 200 years (some of them in the last 50 years) and would hardly be a part of a medieval fantasy or any fantasy that wasn't set in a fairly modern era.

Some of these are not very intuitively names (I do not know what Barer, Reverse Blade are for instance). Also, UI am a little hazey on the difference between hallowed and scion. And wouldn't Terrifying appearance be more of a disadvantage than an advantage. I mean unless the only focus of the game i s combat, you are going to meet far more people you do not want to terrify than those that you do, right?

Also, I see you have Benefactor, mentor and contact, but no Friend/ally.

You have Mentor, but not protege. You do have dependent, but that is definitely different from protege (the dependent needs to be defended but will probably not want to accompany you on your adventures, but a protege will almost HAVE to come along if they are to learn anything, right?).

Why does Archery get its own advantage, but not melee, magic or anything other combat skill?

You have alert, but not inattentive

You have an addiction disad, but no iron will or chaste advantage

You have allergy and disease, but not iron constitution

You have Boor, but not charming

You have faulty memory, but no photographic memory

You have terrifying, but not alluring

You have terrifying, but not Iron Nerve (or whatever resists fear)

You have insane, but no advantage that makes you more resistant to insanity

You have loyalty, but not followers advantage

You have prejudice and Snob, what about trusting and gullible

You have uneducated, what about highly educated

You have unlucky, what about lucky?

There are others that come to mind, but most of them would be inspired by a superhero game (the only games I have really played that use advantages and disads heavily). So, I would be afraid they may not be pertinent to your game. What kind of fantasy is this, maybe I could suggest some others if I have a point of reference...

Either way, good luck man!
Dave M
Author of Legends of Lanasia RPG (Still in beta)
My blog
Free Demo

Limejello

well fat and homosexual are neutral because while fat decreses speed and charisma it increases  hit points and stregnth, homosexual makes a character less likeable to the same sex and more so to the opposite.  Though actually now that you mention it...I think I may move that down to the disadvantages.  The list is going to grow into a mechanical book, yes.  And these martial arts still have their place in fantasy even the few that are modern (and modern I define as last 100 years magical cowboys is still an aceptable fantasy setting.)

Dine, a couple of obvious ones have been left out for reasons I will make clear later,  Though Some of these were really good.  Unattentive is my favorite I think.
Some of them I think I might change the names of based on your recomendations.

Though to sate your curisity I think I will change hallowed to blessed (in the particular favor of a god), Scion is someone actually decended form a god.  barer is someone who begins play with a magical item (though i think I will also have a barer for a cursed item) reverse blade is the ability to use a shortsword upside down, allowing someone to swing it as they run by.  Uneducated means no natural abilit to read and write they have to select it as a skill (barbarian).