News:

Forum changes: Editing of posts has been turned off until further notice.

Main Menu

Producer wins narration?

Started by Shane Boone, June 04, 2008, 09:16:29 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Shane Boone

If the Producer draws the highest card in a conflict, does he get narration rights?   

There was some confusion in my group over the text which says "Narration authority goes to the player who was dealt the single highest card in the conflict.

Thanks,
Shane

Matt Wilson

Hi Shane.

The producer is a player. Everyone's a player.

-Matt

Shane Boone

Thanks Matt!

I thought so, but the other players disagreed.  That will make things much more interesting for me next time :}

Thanks for the fast answer!

Shane

Peter Nordstrand

You may want to check out Basic Rules Concepts, starting on p. 9, which details the basic terminology of the rules. It is actually a good read. :)
Any sufficiently advanced incompetence is indistinguishable from malice.
     —Grey's Law

Shane Boone

Yeah, I thought that section was kind of confusing. 

"Everyone who participates in a game of Primetime Adventures is a player",

"When you read the book and and you see references to players and producer you can assume that players means everyone else who's not the producer, unless the rules specify otherwise." 

So when I read: "Narration authority goes to the player who was dealt the single highest card in the conflict", I just assumed it did not refer to the producer.

Thanks for the help!

Shane

Peter Nordstrand

Any sufficiently advanced incompetence is indistinguishable from malice.
     —Grey's Law

Matt Wilson

If that's the only thing in the book that you find confusing, I'll eat my hat.

Shane Boone

I think you did a great job with the rules.   

I read through the book twice, printed out the summary sheet from the back of the book, added a couple of notes and got together with my group: a veteran D&D gamer, an 11 year old new to rpgs, my wife who is new to the whole concept of rpgs, and myself, an old school Vampire/homebrew player

I gave a rough explanation of the rules (because no one EVER reads the rules but me) and, within an hour, we began playing what everyone at the table considers one of our favorite rpg experiences yet.   We created a sitcom about a family (widowed father, widower mother-in-law and teenage son) who are cannibals in modern day America. 

Everything about the session was fluid, lots of laughs, lots of fun.  At the end of the night, one player said "This could actually be a TV show that I would watch!"  I think that says SUCCESS!

My wife was actually the only person who had a real problem understanding conflict.  She couldn't grasp when a conflict should occur (i.e. father and son are dragging a body across the living room when the neighbors show up at the door.  Grandma cracks the door to tell them they are busy right now, when the neighbors just push the door open and come in.  My wife didn't prevent this.  Should this have been a conflict or does the Producer get to force this?) 

The way I explained things to my wife was anything I said in regards to NPC's happened, period, the end.   The conflict occurs when a player says "No, I don't want that to happen".  My wife seemed to understand things better with this explanation. 

I don't know if that explanation is completely consistent with the rules but it worked very well in our first session. 

One thing I noticed about this game was how much detail we created as a group.  It made everything so easy for me as a Producer and the players were rolling through it like they knew the characters.  I had an absolute blast.  It was so easy for me to introduce havoc and everyone just rolled with it.

Your game rocks!