News:

Forum changes: Editing of posts has been turned off until further notice.

Main Menu

IDEAS FOR SIMPLE GAMES

Started by mocj07, June 18, 2008, 03:13:52 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

mocj07

hi

i am not into RPG games nor do i know much about them, but i was directed to this site hoping that somebody would help me since it has a good reputation in games in general..

i am looking for a simple game to play in social gathering at clubs, bars,..etc and to require no or minimum props..

there is a game i heard at howard stern and with a bit of adapting it can work like this.. when in a club or a bar, one of our social group picks out 3 random people in the surrounding (people we dont know) then he/her picks a person in our group to choose one of the three random people to GET RID OF, one to SLEEP WITH , one to MARRY... of course not for real, but its a good ice breaker as it allows for the group to discover about the other person taste, style and so forth and also a fun game where the group can bust each other on their choices..

i am looking for social games similar to this; NO props or minimum , simple , and fun

I WOULD REALLY APPRECIATE ANY HELP

thanks

mocj07

if nobody have ideas for something like that ,, would you please refer me to a place where i get help  ... thanks

tombowings

1001 Nights is a very simple RPG that takes about three hours to play and is great as a party game. Check it out at http://www.nightskygames.com/.

mocj07

thanks for answering, but i am looking for something simpler , actually a lot more simpler  like the one described above..

something that has very short time, no or minimum props, and can work in a club/bar setting

thanks

tombowings

Alright, this might be a little more of what you're looking for:

Screw Your Neighbor

Pops: deck of cards

1) Deal each player a single card, which players keep secret from one another.

2) Start with the player to your right. That player can choose either to try and screw their neighbor or not (the person on their right). If yes, the player must explain why they want to screw them and those two players trade cards. If no, the the player must explain why he or she does not want to screw their neighbor; they do not trade cards. After the decision and explanation has been made, play passes to the player on their right.

3) Once the dealer has gone, everyone revels their card, the person with the highest card wins

Grand_Commander13

I'd recommend getting a copy of Kobolds Ate My Baby.  If what I know about the system is right, the acronym for the stats is "BEER" and it encourages goofy, raucous roleplaying.  There's just something about a game where the rules demand that everybody shout "All hail King Torg!" when King Torg (all hail King Torg!) is mentioned that sounds fun.

Oh, and fighting chickens.  Can't forget about that.

Unfortunately, that's even likely too complicated for what you're looking for, though perhaps you could give the website a peek for if you guys wanted to play it anyway.  I can't think of any packaged roleplaying game on the level of simplicity of what you describe...  Perhaps one of the one-page RPGs would suit your needs, maybe.

M. J. Young

It sounds to me like our guest is looking more for parlor games than role playing games--thinks like Crossed or Uncrossed, Answer Me Truthfully.  I'd suggest Fictionary, but I think that's probably a bit more complicated than you want (it requires a dictionary, paper and pens, and at least three players).  Charades has no props, but it's become a bit old school.  Twenty Questions and I Spy are both propless games that can work well in social settings.

I remember a board game called I Think You Think I Think that could be simplified to something that works in a propless situation.  You'd need a token that can be used for yes/no, but a coin works if you agree in advance that heads is yes.  You ask a player one question, yes or no answer, and he has to set his answer but hide it (set so he can't change it, hidden so no one else knows it).  Everyone else then bets whether he answered yes or no by placing their own tokens.  Points are earned by everyone who correctly guesses what the first person answered.  It also reveals a lot about people and what they think of each other.

I wish I knew where our copy of that game went.

Malarkey is also good, and although it's best played with the game set you can probably doctor up a variant that would work without it.

--M. J. Young