News:

Forum changes: Editing of posts has been turned off until further notice.

Main Menu

I'll show you mine if you show me yours! Game that is...

Started by JohnG, June 27, 2008, 12:35:27 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

JohnG

So here's what I'm looking for, I want other game designers who are at a similar point in their game creation process to contact me.  We send each other a file of the rough draft of our games, we both read, and we critique one another.  Currently I'm looking for people to critique setting, basically I'm making sure my game has the cool factor that'll make people want to play and allow them to have interesting characters and experiences.  After setting we look at various system aspects, point out flaws and strengths and so on.  This is a no money situation for game designers to help one another out, if someone wants a contract or something then it could probably be arranged but I doubt it'd be necessary.  I'm typing up some extra stuff for my game right now, spells, monsters, etc, but other than that she's good to go.  I just want some people's opinions before I go to the trouble of arranging editing.
John Grigas
Head Trip Games
headtripgames@hotmail.com
www.headtripgames.com

Current Projects: Ember, Chronicles of the Enferi Wars

Ron Edwards

To be clear, everyone, use John's email listed in his profile, rather than answering here. Use this space for questions or clarifications.

Best, Ron

JohnG

John Grigas
Head Trip Games
www.headtripgames.com

Ron Edwards

Oh, quit whining. This is the Forge - people think about what they want to do, and that takes time. 99 views aren't very many, either.

I swear, one day I'm gonna see if Vincent is willing to deactivate that "viewed" function; it does nothing but engage internet-egos and cause grief.

John, your work is good, your posts here are gold, and your presence is appreciated - but that can also be daunting, especially since you've stipulated that only other people with games-in-design are eligible. That knocked your "hit" audience down considerably, and makes people self-conscious about their game in comparison to yours.

Best, Ron

First Oni

Let me say that if i wasn't in mole man mode with my own writing, i'd definitely consider this type of program. I think more developers would benefit from being able to share their thoughts and get feedback at the same time. Maybe for future projects, i may do this, but for now... back to editing endlessly. :-)

-Oni
Eloy Lasanta, CEO of Third Eye Games
Buy "Apocalypse Prevention, Inc." NOW!!!
API Worldwide: Canada - Available Now!

JohnG

John Grigas
Head Trip Games
www.headtripgames.com

Marshall Burns

You say that you want "other game designers who are at a similar point in their game creation process."  Perhaps it would be a good idea to elaborate on that, such that people know precisely how you view the point you're at, making it easier to tell if they're at the same point.  The possibility of walking into a slightly-embarassing misunderstanding is a powerful un-motivator.

-Marshall

JohnG

Similar point, I suppose would be mostly complete rough draft but pre-playtesting.
John Grigas
Head Trip Games
www.headtripgames.com

Bomb Cat

Hey. Ive got a little publishing company similar to what your myspace page referred to (I think). Anyway. Im totally down with trading critiques. You can download my current game here http://www.freewebs.com/phaethosrpg/downloads.html

My game is in a play test sort of phase (early play test mind you). I know you specified pre-play test so...??? No obligation to play test mind you.

I would love to take a look at what you've got so far and offer any criticism, help, or encouragement I possibly can. Plus I am in need of people to do the same with my game.