News:

Forum changes: Editing of posts has been turned off until further notice.

Main Menu

Hey Paul! Face to Face CharGen!

Started by Christopher Kubasik, June 30, 2002, 05:04:39 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ron Edwards

Hey,

Amazing stuff, everyone. I'll be looking forward to future developments.

My little antennae are twitching enough to suggest that the next phase might do well to stay "off the Forge" for a little while. Just, you know, play and have a good time. Experience lots, analyze only a little. Do at least two sessions before bringing the body back for dissection.

Best,
Ron

Christopher Kubasik

Hi Ron,

Sound advice.

Christopher
"Can't we for once just do what we're supposed to do -- and then stop?
Lemonhead, The Shield

Mike Holmes

Quote from: jburnekoHe is, in general, a VERY VERY Setting focused Simulationist.
Hey, I don't remember being there. We did our CharGen via eMail.

But seriously, do I have to feel bad that I, too, made a no-demon havin' (well, almost), low personal attachment kicker, big written history (so much so that it added large elements to the setting) sort of character who I only intended to be interesting to myself, for the same setting?

Or, am I wrong to bring my Simulationism to a game of Sorcerer? Even if I intend to be Narrativist when it counts?

Mike
Member of Indie Netgaming
-Get your indie game fix online.

Ron Edwards

Hey,

Mike, I'm confused. Is that a joke post, or are you involved in all of this somehow?

Also, it strikes me that "Narrativist when it counts" is what ... well, counts, if you see what I mean. As both Christopher and Jesse are being careful to express, no one can tell another person "how to do it right."

Best,
Ron

jburneko

Hello Again,

For clearity, Mike is involved in a (slow going) Play-Be-Email that uses the same Setting and Humanity definition.  His Kicker was that a book he'd 'borrowed' from some monks had been stolen.  And no Mike, there was nothing "wrong" with the character you created.

Although I'm glad you brought up our Play-Be-Email session.  There are two BIG differences between that game and the one I'm going to do face to face.  

First of all the very natures of the characters have already made the two versions of the setting RADICALLY different.  I would say that the Play-By-Email has more emphasis on the Fantasy and the Face-To-Face game has more emphasis on the Gothic.  In the Play-By-Email we have actual Demon Half-Breeds, a direct form of Sorcerery to deal with what I've come to call The Shadow Fey, and a looming Sorcerous figure out to conquer the Other Worlds.   There is much more of a sense that the WORLD is tormented and the PCs are here to deal with that.   The Face-To-Face game is WAY WAY more subdued.  It has a much tighter focus specifically on the emotional torment aspects as a personal problem for the PCs.  The focus is much on dealing with emotional torment on a direct personal level.  Sorcerery is less defined and the Fantasy elements are down played and more subtle.

The second big difference is that I'm largely making the play-by-email up as I go along.  I feel I can do this because I can read the posts, think about it, and come back with new material that's meaningful.  The face-to-face game however, I'm heavily prepring using the techniques suggested in the Sorcerer rulebooks because things move much faster in a face-to-face game.

Jesse