News:

Forum changes: Editing of posts has been turned off until further notice.

Main Menu

Phaethos RPG Playtest

Started by Bomb Cat, July 28, 2008, 03:53:31 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bomb Cat

OK. So I have a 176 page pdf with bookmarks (easy to navigate) and most of the rules for the Phaethos RPG. I know most everyone has their own stuff going but if anyone wants to play test this, let me know and ill get you a copy of the game...

Here is an overview of the game as it stands now...

Phaethos uses a d10 dice pool. The game setting is a mix between fantasy, old west gunslingeresque, sci-fi, horror and steampunk (several of these genres may not be visible at this time). The game is centered around combat and encounters but has a great deal of depth concerning personality, social interactions and character growth.

Right now there are no monsters included in the play test book :[ . This is because I have not yet tested any of the monsters I have created (of course, some of the rules have not been strenuously tested either...I will get a monster supplement up ASAP.)

Thanks

Bomb Cat

Bomb Cat

I have removed the annoying red playtest bg from the pdf so go get a copy of the rules and be less annoyed.

Did I mention this is FREE?

Vulpinoid

Have you considered artwork styles?

That's a tough read at the moment with 176 pages of text.

Despite this, I'm skimming through it now.

First pet hatred, game systems where you've got an X% chance of something happening at character generation or with new levels...2% chance of an insanity. I know heaps of people who seem to magically manage to avoid anything nasty happening to their character while others get hit by something bad three levels in a row.

Sure, life ain't fair, but this sort of thing can really turn someone off a game.

Second pet hatred, formulas defining modifiers which cross reference to other formulas and tables, then the sequence continues as mutliple people need to take numerous rolls to get a single combat swipe resolved. I don't like games where it takes a few minutes to work out what happens in a matter of seconds in-game.

Other people may love these games, and may love these concepts in games, but my opinions have these aspects in the negative.

I'm also wary of systems where the crunchy combat stats outweigh the combined descriptive nature of the character and other skills.

I haven't gotten to setting yet, these are just the first things I always look for in the way of mechanics.

Still, there seems to be a few nice ideas scattered through the work. I'll PM you with some more positive critique angles.

V
A.K.A. Michael Wenman
Vulpinoid Studios The Eighth Sea now available for as a pdf for $1.

Bomb Cat

Thanks for the thoughts V... I truly appreciate the time you have given my work.

I have thought about artwork (as I am doing it myself). I think I'm decent enough to do the artwork for the book. I plan on selling the book as a pdf with full color artwork for about $5 (maybe even less). I am hoping you think its a tough read because of the lack of artwork and not the chicken scratchesque writing style???

I think part of my problem at this point is that the rules are so ingrained in my mind that I fail to see things such as the cross referencing. Im taking some time of (like 4 or 5 days) to allow my brain to forget the rules a bit. It would be really helpful if you could point out an exact place where the crossreferencing takes place so I could get an idea of whats happening, I need a visual example...sorry. Like I said, I think Im just missing it and taking the rules for granted (I always have this problem).

Ill re-post soon (dogs barking, wife is yelling, kids are crying...)