News:

Forum changes: Editing of posts has been turned off until further notice.

Main Menu

Tooth & Claw!

Started by Jared A. Sorensen, June 27, 2001, 10:48:00 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

hardcoremoose

I didn't really have a problem with the Dinosaurs talking, although the monkeys were pretty damn annoying.  I knew that going in though, and frankly, what can you expect from a Disney film?

(do the Dinosaurs in Tooth&Claw communicate?  Just slap my hand and tell me to wait until November if I'm being too forward)

I agree that a lot of pure drama can be elicited from dinsoaurs without needing to personify them.  Witness Raptor Red, or Walking With Dinosaurs.  

A couple years back Paul Verhoeven was prepping a film that would have been what Dinosaur could have been.  No talking dinosaurs, no cutesy characters for children...just raw, prehistoric action.  All CGI of course.  It got shot down as the studio heads assumed the idea was too esoteric to be profitable.  Verhoeven's been hit and miss with his past few films, but I would've loved to have seen this one.  Let's hope that somewhere down the line someone green lights the production.

Take care,
Moose

Jared A. Sorensen

You speak for your dinosaur characters,a s you would with most RPGs.  I'm not going to break new ground with this sucker...just pull in some readers. :smile:
jared a. sorensen / www.memento-mori.com

Damocles

On 2001-07-03 22:15, Jared A. Sorensen wrote:
You speak for your dinosaur characters,a s you would with most RPGs.  I'm not going to break new ground with this sucker...just pull in some readers. :)
That's the spirit!
Seriously, I don't think I've ever seen a game concept that screams "MARKETABLE!" as much as this. Here's a suggestion: Try to get together with a firm who makes dinosaur toys.  Official miniatures! Normally, I dislike the thought of using miniatures in rpgs (be gone, foul remnants of wargaming!), but in this case it would be so absolutely perfect.
For inspiration: There is a wordless manga humor series called, er, "Gon" (or something like that) featuring a small dinosaur as a main character which might be useful. (Or not. I never read it myself, just some reviews which made it sound pretty good, for what that's worth.)

Jamie Thomas Durbin

Woohoo! Well done once more, Jared! And for your next trick?!? :wink:

Anyhows, the concept seems cool, and the game cover looks astounding... I know, that sounds really shallow, but still, I think you've got a possible damn fine seller... If you need anyone to talk to to talk to the local Bradford Gaming Stores or bookshops about selling it when it comes out, then gimme a mail, my usual address... *grins*...

...I'm pretty sure I've heckled you enough for you to semi remember my e-mail addy... :wink:
--------
"Bored Senseless In Bradford"
-Jamie Thomas Durbin

Jared A. Sorensen

Thanks for the compliments & feedback. :smile:

Re: toys/miniatures.  I already have plans... :wink:

Re: Gon.  Yup...I know the little bastard from Tekken 3.

Re: the cover.  Thank you very much!  I kinda just whipped it together before a party...it just turned out really well.  A few nips and tucks are needed, but I think we'll go with it as-is.

jared a. sorensen / www.memento-mori.com