News:

Forum changes: Editing of posts has been turned off until further notice.

Main Menu

Polaris at a convention

Started by fjj, September 02, 2008, 12:47:15 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

fjj

I'm setting up Polaris at Viking Con, Copenhagen, October 11. The time slot is 4-6 hours, and I expect to need time for introducing people to the game before start - and there may be several groups willing to play.

Is there a good approach to this?

What are the "official" rules  for a short game? (only two protagonist and accelated experience?)

How long should I expect to use on explaining the game and the setting?

How many groups is realistic to run, if I am the only one that knows the rules?

Is it 4 players pr group only or can I fit one or two extra in a group?
Frederik J. Jensen

Ben Lehman

Is there a good approach to this?

Conplay? Yes. Introducing several groups at once? Less explored territory.

What are the "official" rules  for a short game? (only two protagonist and accelated experience?

My favorite rules for a short game are "use only two protagonists." They're not "official" because I hadn't figured out how to do that by the time the book printed. The book's rules (accelerated experience) are simply worse. As the organizer, take a Mistaken role rather than a Heart role.

How long should I expect to use on explaining the game and the setting?

It's pretty possible to explain things decently in a short time. At a time where I have a little more breathing room (maybe in a few days?) I will write up the short explanation of my "brief introduction" blurb in this thread.

How many groups is realistic to run, if I am the only one that knows the rules?

One? I don't know of anyone orchestrating Polaris from afar: I'm not even sure of how to come about doing it. I'm not saying it's impossible or anything, just that I have no clue how to go about doing it. Anyone else have any ideas?

Is it 4 players pr group only or can I fit one or two extra in a group?

If you decide on multiple groups, I would have 3-4 players in each group. If you have a single group, you can probably manage 5 or even 6. The way to do this in a con environment is to do 3 protagonists, spread around the group so that everyone is a Heart or a Mistaken.

fjj

Thanks. Looking forward to the detailed instructions.

I imagine running several groups either by having someone knowing the game showing up to run a group, or by doing setting and key phrase explaination for several groups and then sending them of with reference sheets and with me around available for questions. The second option is not optimal, but may work and can result in more people playing.
Frederik J. Jensen

fjj

Seems like we will be three experienced Polaris-gamers setting up the three games.

Still interested in advice on pitching the game for new gamers in one shots.
Frederik J. Jensen