News:

Forum changes: Editing of posts has been turned off until further notice.

Main Menu

[DNAwesome] Brainstorming - Grit

Started by dindenver, September 19, 2008, 12:36:01 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

dindenver

Hi!,
  I wanted to get input on my game, see if there is anything cool I can do with Grit to make it more fun.
  OK, so the concept is that this is for a four-color style Supers campaign.
  And the resolution goes like this:
Players take turns playing Character Traits (powers, skills, etc) and then narrating how they use it until they both Pass. Then the points are added up and winner narrates (essentially)
  In order to mix it up a little and add a level of tactics, I wanted to add an ability to play a point of Grit instead of a Trait. Possible uses for grit are as follows:
Make it Count! - Double a Previously played Trait (Yours or others)
Not so fast... - Cancel a previously played Trait (Yours or others)
Anticipation - Do not play a Trait now, but Interrupt another player after they have declared what Trait they will play. When you Interrupt them, your Trait technically is played before their Trait is.
Counter - Do not play a Trait now, but interrupt another player after they have declared what Trait the will Play. When you interrupt them, your Trait technically is played immediately after theirs.
Denouement - Once you play this point of Grit, no other Traits or Grit may be played during this Challenge
Escalate! - Bump the Challenge Die up one size
Isolate - Bump the Challenge Die down one size
Adapt - Play the point of Grit, then immediately Play a Trait (yours or theirs) with an incorrect Arena Tag
Bend like Reed - Spend a Point of Grit, and select a Trait in Play that was not played by you. That Trait is treated as if it was also, separately played by you. This play is not affected by any play against the original trait or vice versa.

The design goal for Grit is threefold:
1) Add a CCG-Like play mechanic complete with Speed tactics, Counter tactics, interrupts, combos, etc.
2) Reverse stunting - Entitle Players to narrate over the top action. Basically, if they spend the point, they get to narrate anything that justifies the in-game effect of their play
3) Promote/Support Creativity - What I mean is, most people can think of a non-fighty use for heat rays or a fighty use for "gift of gab." The goal is to support those, but still provide a structure for making and using Super Powers.

Based on that criteria, can you think of:
1) Other cool uses for Grit
2) Cooler names for the uses that I have listed (Except for Denouement I am not thrilled by any of them).
  So, let me know what you think of, ok?
Dave M
Author of Legends of Lanasia RPG (Still in beta)
My blog
Free Demo

chronoplasm

I'm sorry, but when you said "four-color style Supers", the first thing I thought of was the color pie from Magic: the Gathering except with the four colors being cyan, magenta, yellow, and black. I don't know if you can use this, but I just thought I'd throw it out there.

As for the names of the grits...
They need more excitement.

Make it Count = ACTION TIME!
Not so Fast = HALT, EVIL DOER!

dindenver

Kevin,
  I like that.
  About the Evil Doer line, it might not work, the bad guys can spend Grit too.
Dave M
Author of Legends of Lanasia RPG (Still in beta)
My blog
Free Demo