News:

Forum changes: Editing of posts has been turned off until further notice.

Main Menu

[While We Were Fighting] Sodomizing the Renaissance

Started by Peter Nordstrand, October 12, 2008, 11:44:55 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Peter Nordstrand

I played While We Were Fighting at Stockholms spelkonvent. (Yes, the game is still called While We Were Fighting.)

I played with a group of four young men, all in their late teens/early twenties. They were new aquaintances to me, but they new each other. They knew nothing of the game other than some very scant information picked up from the convention programme blurb.

I had prepared some ready made characters so all they had to do was to pick a character, choose Injustice, and Modus Operandi and we were set to go.

One of the characters had several lovers, one of whom was an other man. The player of that character dealt with it in what I can only describe as normal and non-neurotic way. I noticed, however, how one of the other guys raised his eyebrows and seemed quite uncomfortable with even thinking casually about homoerotic activities. Only two words was uttered: "A man?" Interestingly enough they were not so much directed at me, who made the characters, as at the character's player.

I could sense that a silent vote of sorts was taken in the group, and the objections were unceremoniously overturned. A few quick glances, some slight bodymovements, and it was settled. This is okay. This is normal.

None of this was a big deal, really, but I found it interesting. Also, it provided me with a fairly good idea of where to draw the veil. I wasn't going to provoke or make anybody feel uncomfortable just to make a point. On the contrary I felt it was important to promote an atmosphere of trust.

What are your experiences with this sort of thing?

The character had a quite blatant sexual theme over all. He was married, yet had three lovers, of which one was his son's wife, and his Ambition was to "fornicate with Italia Capponi", the daughter of an other player character.

It may seem a bit risky to introduce such blatant sexual content in a convention game, but for some reason I never hesitated. I knew that no children would be playing, so that wasn't an issue. Still, had this been a convention outside the Nordic countries, I would probably not have gone down that route. Not that we are ooh so sexually liberated or anything, but sexuality is a sensitive matter everywhere, and I wouldn't really know what is acceptable in a different social context.

How does this work where you are from? How far can you go at a convention, regarding sexuality, when playing with strange people, without risking moving outside of what is socially acceptable? Do the convention itself have any rules or regulations regarding this sort of thing?
Any sufficiently advanced incompetence is indistinguishable from malice.
     —Grey's Law

Peter Nordstrand

Here's the full character description. Enjoy!

Niccolo Manelli
Niccolo Manelli has a beautiful young wife and a splendid palace, yet he is not quite satisfied...

Injustice:
Ambition: To fornicate with Italia Capponi (daughter of Letizia Capponi)
Modus Operandi:
Leverage: 5

Relationships:
     Wife Gisella (1)
     Son Amadeo, spice merchant (1)
     Lover Claretta, daughter-in-law (1)
     Brother-in-law Cosmo, judge (2)
     Lover Donatello, lesser noble (3)

Communities:
     Leader of the Manelli Family (3)
     Retinue of inebriated younger male relatives (2)
     A personal bodyguard (2)
     Member of Spice merchants' guild (1)

Wealth & Status:
     Spice trade (2)
     Patron of courtesan Ana Massini (1)
     A luxurious palace (2)

—Grey's Law

Ron Edwards

I may be a little unusual in this regard - my convention play shies at nothing, and I've never observed it to cause problems for sexual content. Race-content, though, is hugely sensitive in the States, as Julia and I observed over and over with Steal Away Jordan.

I'm curious about whether sodomizing (or even hand-holding) with Donatello came into play or not. That strikes me as the real issue, rather than mere character concept.

Best, Ron

Peter Nordstrand

There were several instances of sexual intercourse in game, all but one with Donatello, who turned out to not only be Niccolo's lover, but also his close friend and companion. However, these acts were hardly described at all, and I was the one who was quick to draw the veil. "...and they embrace each other. Good! Next scene!" The boundaries were never discussed, and I guess I could've just asked the other players about their limits. But I didn't and instead chose to play it safe. Partly because of the early reaction from one player, and partly because of my own preconceptions about young men and sex.

My prejudiced preconception is this: Young men don't have much practical sexual experience, yet for some reason feel that they ought to have. This tends to make talking about sex awkward. Note that I have no reason at all to assume that any of this applies to these patricular players. Except that they are, indeed, young men.

The most explicitly sexual description was between Niccolo and Donatello. After Niccolo had successfully seduced Italia Capponi, the player framed a scene where Niccolo was at home getting a sensuous oil massage from Donatello. That's pretty much it. I know, not much to be upset over. Still, this was one of those important scenes that reveal a character's true character. Having achieved his ambition, Niccolo immediately turned his interest to some other unattainable young lady, and together with his compatriot began to plan for his next conquest. 

But I digress.
     —Grey's Law

Peter Nordstrand

Race? We don't talk about race in Sweden. It doesn't exist. Racism, on the other hand, is a reasonably acceptable subject but it is usually understood that this is something bad happening elsewhere. Also, in political discourse, racism has become conceptually linked to the notion of integration. But we really don't like to talk about that either, as it makes for bad dinner conversation and awkward silences.
     —Grey's Law

Ron Edwards

It sounds like a successful playtest with a lot of strong content and good use of veils to help it work. This is what I wrote Sex & Sorcery to promote.

Best, Ron

Peter Nordstrand

—Grey's Law