News:

Forum changes: Editing of posts has been turned off until further notice.

Main Menu

Forge Midwest 2009

Started by Willow, November 07, 2008, 01:07:42 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Willow

So, April 2009 is slowly approaching, and with that, Forge Midwest.

Last year, it was held in Madison, and many agreed it was a good venue.  I'd like to put some feelers out there- would people like it to be held there again this upcoming year?  What sort of attendance should we expect?  If it's at the Best Western again, are there any changes we should make?

Ron Edwards

Ooooohhhh! Matt and I talked about this a few weeks ago. Double-check with him, but Willow, if you & Clyde & co. want to become the on-site organizers, that'd work really well. Matt and I are still willing to serve as we've done so far.

All the feedback from last year pretty much came back "Just like this, again!" My thoughts are that we should stay with the same place and think a little bit about how to utilize the space. I wouldn't mind coordinating a dinner or something like that - nothing hugely fancy or organized, but one step up from frantic sandwich runs.

Best, Ron

Nev the Deranged

I agree, last year was pretty successful. I was just mentioning it to someone yesterday. I'm not much for logistics but I can provide goofy name tags again, for what that's worth.

GreatWolf

Last year went really well, and I'd be happy with a general repeat of it.

Crystal is due around April, though, so I'm not sure if I'll be able to make it. But, if that were not the case, I'd gladly return to Madison for Forge Midwest.

Seth Ben-Ezra
Dark Omen Games
producing Legends of Alyria, Dirty Secrets, A Flower for Mara
coming soon: Showdown

Clyde L. Rhoer

I really didn't do anything last year other than the food page, which I'll do again this year. Dealing with sales folks isn't really my forte. If there's anything that needs to be done that I can do....

The Best Western was fine, the only reason I would see for changing it is to get folks closer to state street, but low cost likely is more important than proximity to the Isthmus. Plus the Best Western had refrigerators and microwaves in the rooms.
Theory from the Closet , A Netcast/Podcast about RPG theory and design.
clyde.ws, Clyde's personal blog.

Blankshield

Last year was great pretty much across the board.  I'm not sure if I can make it down, because my con budget is tight this year, but I'll certainly try.

James
I write games. My games don't have much in common with each other, except that I wrote them.

http://www.blankshieldpress.com/

Nev the Deranged

C'mon, James... you HAVE to make it, or I might end up rooming with people who snore again =P

buzz

I had a blast last time, and would even come prepared to run stuff. :)

The hotel was not fancy, but served its purpose well; I have no special attachment to it, FWIW. My only comment would be to hope the hotel staff could keep the conference rooms a little cleaner and better stocked with water. And an organized dinner of some sort sounds like a fine idea.
A.k.a., Mark Delsing

GamerChick

I'd rather a hotel with a bar (and a second on the "more frequently refreshed ice water"), but last year was great, and I would love to come again, despite the 7 hour drive. And probably bring friends...

Jae Walker

Adam Riemenschneider

I'm up for another round. Again!

-a-
Creator and Publisher of Other Court Games.
www.othercourt.com
http://othercourt.livejournal.com/
http://www.myspace.com/othercourt

Willow

So, good news and bad news.  The hotel is under new management, which means they've made some improvements to the hotel, but they've raised some of the rates.  The room rates are still fairly low, but the conference rooms are considerably more expensive.

Right now we have a tenative room block for Friday April 12th, Saturday 13th, and leaving Sunday the 14th.  Rooms are $89 dollars each.

The conference rooms run $150 a day, $225 if we get two rooms.  I'm thinking one room Friday and Sunday, and both rooms Saturday, which runs a big $525- so this year, if we hold it in Madison, we'll probably need an admission fee.

Ron Edwards

In other words, they hired someone who has a clue ...

$225 a day is more like what I'd expected in the first place. So if we do this (and by all indications we are), then last year can be called our lucky break, and this year is the reality. Still, $450 is still a very very affordable reality compared to the Chicago scene.

I guess I'm callin' it. Pending Matt's views, I declare Forge Midwest 2009 to be a Go, place & time as Willow has described. Willow, if you want to give me the contact information, preferably a specific person, I'll call them and use Ye Olde Adept credit card to lock it down.

Best, Ron

chris_moore

I'm glad I finally get a chance to come back to Forge Midwest, after two years away.  Looking forward to it!
Iowa Indie Gamers!

Willow

Here's the official contact information for setting up your room:

Best Western East Towne Suites
608-244-2020

We have a ton of rooms available.  Let them know you're with the Forge Midwest group to get the $89 room rate.

Also, I heard they're putting in some sort of bar in the spring.

TJ

Once again, the exact location of the hotel is here.

And I put in a recommendation for them to carry Capital Brewery products.