News:

Forum changes: Editing of posts has been turned off until further notice.

Main Menu

First Reactions / Stephen King / 2 Player Secrets Variation

Started by sirogit, December 03, 2008, 12:00:37 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

sirogit

First off, yay! You sold it! I gave you money and I got a vampire book!

Secondly, I'm abit perplexed by the line "I wrote this game where the metaphor of the Vampire as an external predator can cast a a character's inner life in sharp relief ... not every game must focus on the internal problems of the protagonists ... I've played many an enjoyable game that felt more like a Stephen King novel..." It seemed strange to me because I thought "external predators casting inner life in a sharp relief" Were the *good* parts of any stephen king work I can readily think of - Particularly Pet Cemetary and It, but also the miniseries "Storm of The Century", which is almost like Annalise fanfiction.

Thirdly, I'm planning to play the game with 2 players, and I'd like to keep the uncertainity/player collaboration elements of secret creation, so my idea is to have each player create two secrets, creating 4 from which 2 are randomly drawn from. Is that idea doomed to suck? Would multiple secrets lead to creative fatigue?

Nathan P.

Yay! Thanks for giving me money! I'm glad you're excited about the game!

The Stephen King reference is more to, like, Christine or The Tommyknockers or something. Where's there's weird, creepy stuff going on, but a lot of the fiction is about the wierd stuff and it's not really specific to the characters. There's usually more action (fights, chases, etc) in that kind of story, as well, which is part of what coded those particular games as "King-ish" to me. That said, I haven't read a ton of King, so maybe I'm missing the best parts?

As for the Secrets idea - I haven't tried it, so I can't say for sure, but I have no reason to think that there would be any suckage to be had. I would just say that, if you draw a Secret that you don't like, you should draw another one instead of trading it with the other player. Let me know how it goes!
Nathan P.
--
Find Annalise
---
My Games | ndp design
Also | carry. a game about war.
I think Design Matters