News:

Forum changes: Editing of posts has been turned off until further notice.

Main Menu

Color-first character creation project

Started by Ron Edwards, December 30, 2008, 10:45:20 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

jrs

My character is based on an ashcan that does not have a predefined character sheet. It also lacks instructions for naming the character so for now she is nameless.

The Path of Journeys

Official Title in the May Court: The Advocate
Secondary Title: The White Shadow
Conflict: Empathy/Manipulation
Fate Words: Exile, Sacrifice, Purpose

Attributes (based on the rules for "Balanced Method")

Motivations (spend 4 CP, default rank is 4)
Travel (2): I want to travel
Control (3): I want to control my destiny
Bewitch (3): I want to bewitch strangers

Traits (spend 5 CP, default rank is 0)
Famous for sword fighting, rank 2
Famous for keeping silent, rank 2
Known to speak to ghosts, rank 1

Character Skills (spend 6 CP, default rank is 4)
Quick escape, rank 2
Song, rank 2
Know other's desire, rank 3
Bird sight (can use raptors to spy), rank 3

Essential Skills (default rank is 1)
Health, rank 1
Confidence, rank 1
Argument, rank 1

Julie

Kobayashi

Quote from: Paul Czege on January 06, 2009, 09:31:27 AM
Quote from: Christopher Kubasik on January 06, 2009, 07:31:18 AM
...I couldn't imagine her in anything but a kind of Ralph Bashki animated TV series.  But I would never watch a Ralph Bashi animated series!  So that put the kabash on that.

Does anyone own this?

Paul

I did... But sold it, anyone for a Cartoon Action Hour try ?

Ron Edwards

QuoteBut I would never watch a Ralph Bashi animated series!

!

I am not going to the prom with you after all. Return my class ring immediately. And if you see my big brother, you better run.

Christopher Kubasik

I just don't think his style could sustain a long form TV show.

And you know what?

I'm right!
"Can't we for once just do what we're supposed to do -- and then stop?
Lemonhead, The Shield

Ron Edwards

The deadline closes in 4 hours and 40 minutes.

Best, Ron

ejh

Trollbabe!  She is Griselde, a trollbabe with tragically deformed horns so small you can't see them under her hair in this picture.

Chose a Number of 6.

Her Trollish item is a Mojo Skull, which she uses as a sword-pommel.
Her Human Item is a pair of Well-Worn Bracers.

her specialties are Hand-Held Weapons, Human Magic, and Feisty.

Her appearance:  Icy-white hair, tragically tiny horns, looks like Bode & Frazetta's love child.

Additional equipment: Big Bauble Belt, Big Ass Sword, slung against Big Ass.

She is currently walking grimly towards the gates of Kragg Keep.

Character sheet hosted at Imageshack at the following link -- hey, Ron freed us up to use thumbnails in this thread!

Jason Morningstar

Not sure if it matters, but in the interest of accuracy, my TFT thief-lady needs to have a bronze sword, since iron messes with magic.  Same weight and cost, -1 damage, so it's a 2-3 cutlass instead of the standard 2-2. 

Ben Lehman

So, this picture looks remarkably like my friend L, who sometimes has blue hair and, if she entered a fantasy world, would probably rapidly acquire a huge-ass skull sword and some kicky jewelry.

Let's say that this is L in the Land of a Thousand Kings. Of course, she'd actually be in charge of what she did and said there. So this is my speculation, not anything binding.

Now, unfortunately, set-up for the game starts out very simple, and you develop your attributes and such as you explore the world. But the guidelines say "starting character."

So let's say L and A and I are playing. We're going to give Lesley some attribute values.

I say "L, nothing every bothers you, and you're always pretty chill. That's why I know you're Strong."

Let's say A says "L, you have totally great fashion sense. That's why I know you're Beautiful."

L declines to give herself an attribute.

So she gets one Strong and one Beautiful.

She also knows ahead of time that she has an artifact. Her artifact is a huge fucking sword with a skull on the end. Let's say it originally belonged to the War King. So she circles "artifact" as opposed to "excellency" and writes "War King's Sword" under it.

So, in all, she looks like:
L***
Strong: 1
Brave: 0
Sharp: 0
Kind: 0
Beautiful: 1

Memories: None
Lessons: None
Artifact: War King's Sword

The rest will be filled out during her travels.

Ron Edwards

I was wondering if anyone'd pull the "um, can't see'em" trick for trollbabe horns. I figure as well that if people Ed played with grumbled, he'd sketch-em in, barely visible, anyway. So that's cool.

Ed, actually I didn't authorize images in this thread. My first post specified it was for that post, so I could include the illustration. But the thumbnail is no big deal.

Jason, thanks! That's actually important, as you'll soon see.

Best, Ron

cthulahoops

Well, I'm going to try In A Wicked Age, because I reckon there's enough leeway in the Oracles to squeeze that image in where ever.   (Confession: I've drawn the cards already, so I know it's going to work - but this was my first and only draw.)

Choose An Oracle

I'll choose Blood & Sex, for some reason.

Draw Cards

8D - Some great wizard's magical messenger, brass skinned.
JH - An altar overflowing with flowers and bowls of honey, and the childless women who tends it.
QS - A warrior-priestess of a truly bloodthirsty cult.
JD - A band of demons, laughing and malicious, authors of debauched sensuality and corrupt appetites.

Identify Characters

Two separate priestesses of rival cults, one with blood sacrifices, the other flowers and honey.   The  altar is to a group of demons, who are visited by decadent visitors who come from far and wide to experience the pleasures that are to be found there.  (So, we can add decadent visitors to the shrine to the characters.)   The bloodthirsty cult are an illegal much feared cult, dedicated to the purifying the civilisation of its corruption of decadence by whatever means necessary.    The demons are bound to the altar by means of a magical brass bracelet, an intelligent item, stolen decades ago from a great wizard.

Choose Characters

I'll take the childless priestess of the altar, mistress of the demons,

Creating a character sheet:

Name:   Zahri
Description:  The childless women who tends the altar.
Particular Strength:   Priestess of the Altar
Covertly:    d10
Directly:     d6
With love:   d6
With violence:   d8
For others:  d12
For myself:  d4

Priestess of the Altar
Given the respect and protection of those who visit the altar.  Knows the secrets of the demons.
Form:   For others / Maneuvering
Significance:  1
It's Unique

Best Interests:
It's in Zahri's best interest to leave the altar and get married.
It's in Zahri's best interest to kill the warrior priestess.

Adam.

Meguey

She's *clearly* a Psi-Run character.

Elena MacIntyre.
When I look in the mirror, I see:
A very curvy woman with heavy dark eyeliner and awesome bleached platinum blond hair with electric blue ends brushing my shoulder blades. I have clear, fair skin; lips a little quirky, glossed frosty pink; and I'm wearing an artfully torn army surplus T-shirt, black bikini panties, and a yellow cast on my right arm. I've got a heavy belt of gold and ebony, in the shape of three moons, slung low on my hips, and I'm carrying a kick-ass huge sword with a gold vultures head on the hilt. My eyes are bright blue, and where other folk's pupils are black, mine are the color of skim milk.

Important Questions:
Where the hell are my pants?!?!
Why do I have to get this sword to Ankara?
Who has the missing moon on my belt of power?

Meguey

(Weird. It cut off the last two questions)
I am blind, but I can see EVERYTHING! What's up with that?
How did I hurt my arm?

Eero Tuovinen

Blogging at Game Design is about Structure.
Publishing Zombie Cinema and Solar System at Arkenstone Publishing.

Rafu

Quote from: Ron Edwards on January 04, 2009, 08:27:46 PM
Rafu, is that your name?

I usually go by "Rafu", though that's not my full name. I believed I had it in my signature already. Fixed.

Raffaele Manzo, "Rafu" for short
(...And yes, I know my English sorta sucks, so please be easy on me...)

Clinton R. Nixon

Legendary Lives

First, I need to pick a race. I can roll randomly, but I'll pick in this case. Given her pale hair and fair skin, most human races are out. I'll choose Elfin, "a child born from the union of a human and an elf kin." They are mainly human with some special traits.

Next, I roll her base skills. They are determined by her race + a d6 roll, like so:

Agility 9 + d6
Alertness 6 + d6
Charm 13 + d6
Cunning 3 + d6
Dexterity 11 + d6
Fate 10 + d6
Intelligence 8 + d6
Knowledge 7 + d6
Mechanical 2 + d6
Nature 12 + d6
Stamina 4 + d6
Strength 5 + d6

Here they are:

Agility 15
Alertness 10
Charm 15
Cunning 7
Dexterity 14
Fate 16 (Nice!)
Intelligence 9
Knowledge 10
Mechanical 8
Nature 13
Stamina 10
Strength 7

I need to record her Specialities and her Racial Ability, as well as determine her age, height, and weight.

Elfin Specialities are Empathy, Memory, Jump, and Stealth; they have no night vision; their Racial Ability is True Sight, which they can use twice per day.

Her age is Intelligence + Knowledge - 6 years, so 13. Hm. We are going to assume here that Elfin sexual maturity is about 3 to 5 years early; otherwise, this is a little weird.

Her height is Strength + d6. I rolled 6, so she's Tall. Her weight is Stamina + d6. I rolled 4, so Very Heavy. I wouldn't call that picture Very Heavy, but this lovely lady does have some meat on her bones, which is nice.

Next, her family background. That's Fate + d6. I rolled a 1, but that's fine: the maximum on the Elfin family background table is 17. That would mean she comes from a family of sages. I don't really like this, so I ask the GM if I can choose a different one (Artist), as the rules say I am allowed to do. The GM says OK, and so she comes from a family of artists. Artists are wealthy, so this means she starts with $310 worth of bronze coin, two new specialities (Intuition and Artistry), and 5 free specialities.

I move on to determine my character's type or profession. She has a high enough Fate to be a spell user, but I'm not sure. I want her to be a Rogue (they have a Seduction talent), but she doesn't meet the Cunning requirement. All the fighty-type professions have too high of Strength or Stamina requirements, and I'm starting to wonder if Elfin was a good pick. There's a lot of skill requirements of 11+, which knocks out almost every single profession. Maybe Bush People would have been a better pick, but I'll keep going. Here's what I have to choose from:

- Archer
- Priest
- Shaman

I would kill for an 11 Alertness or Stamina. Still, Shaman's not a terrible pick for her. I get more Specialities: Preach, Medical, Divination, Protection, Heal, Control, Shapeshift, Alter. Her Devotion is 3 + d6 = 7. I have to choose a totem animal, since she's a shaman, and given her icy hair, tough demeanor, and ample body, I'm choosing Polar Bear.

Next, I need a religion for my character. According to the game text, I have to roll for this because "a character's initial beliefs are usually the same as his parents, [so] a player cannot choose his starting religion." She has to follow a religion from her human parent, so I'm choosing Forester as her human parent. A roll of 4 tells me that she worships Fritz, the Animal Tamer.

Now, I get to make a character history, using either random tables or by choice.

I'm choosing sex, hair color and eye color to match the picture. For her core value, I'll choose Vengeance. I rolled randomly to see who she idolizes - a craftsman. As her most prized possession, I rolled a picture, so it's a portrait of her elf father painted by her mother, a man she's never met. I'll choose one key feature (small chin) and roll for the other (18 - uh, third nipple.) Ah, and 2 personality traits. I'm rolling for them, and get Curious and Traditional. That's an interesting one.

I'm rolling randomly for her Lifeline, or her past:

- Her enemy, who spurned her, is a cult leader.
- Her friend, a member of the gentry, saved her life.
- Her two-timing lover tried to kill her.
- She was sold into slavery for 3 years.
- Inherit special item.

I get to select my 5 free specialities now, so I pick Sword, Dodge, Tame, Stealth, and Interrogate. I can buy Specialities for $100 each, and she needs some more. I'm going to buy Quickness and Aim, leaving her with $110.

Lastly, equipment!

- Short sword, $20
- 3 daggers to throw, $30
- Musical instrument (flute), $50
- Mess kit, $5
- Bed roll, $2

She's got $3 left and is ready to adventure!

I'll fill out a character sheet and post it soon.
Clinton R. Nixon
CRN Games