News:

Forum changes: Editing of posts has been turned off until further notice.

Main Menu

Twin Games - A Part of the Experiment

Started by Vulpinoid, February 20, 2009, 01:43:39 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Vulpinoid

A few threads and discussions here have led to some fragmented ideas. Some of those fragmented ideas have started to meld into the seed of an idea.

That seed of an idea is ready for fertilizing.

http://vulpine.110mb.com/guerilla_television.pdf
(Fingers crossed that the link works)

This is the game concept I'm working on at it's most stripped down level. It may be too bare for play as it is currently presented, but then again an experienced group of players might think there's enough to get a decent game happening (or at least use aspects of it as an additional system to their current games).

As it stands, the core rules presented here will be the basis for the micro rules I'm working on (as compared to the macro rules will be presented in the form of a strategic boardgame). The final micro game will be focused more on "attacking the story" rather than attacking each other....but more about that once I get some interested feedback.

Like everything I post here, it's just some ideas...but thrown together in a hopefully coherent game.

V
A.K.A. Michael Wenman
Vulpinoid Studios The Eighth Sea now available for as a pdf for $1.

whiteknife

I really like the idea! It looks like a lot of fun. I'm not sure about the rules, but they look like they could work. Like the layout though, and the theme.

If you need inspiration, Classroom Deathmatch has a similar premise to this, so you might check that out (it's free).

Vulpinoid

Whiteknife,

Your right that this stripped down version of the game has a very similar vibe to Classroom Deathmatch.

I already had a copy of Panty Explosion, so I guess it only took a minor nudge in that direction for me to download the Classroom Deathmatch rules. Reading through it, I could easily incorporate rules from that game.

But the expanded version of the game goes in a slightly different direction.

Guerilla Television is a one shot game where people compete for fame through killing one another in a "Survivor" style contest (but they aren't forced to be there, so they can choose to sell out at any time), Classroom Deathmatch places the students in their situation against their will and they need to either play by the rules and kill each other, or make a stand against it (there's no real option to sell out and work for"the Man").

The expanded version I'm working on still takes the reality TV angle, but gives it a slightly different context...hunters of the supernatural, who use a reality TV show to gain sponsorship. They need to do dirty tasks to complete their jobs, but they don't want the world to know that these dirty tasks are being performed. The catch is that they'll never know whether their actions are being screened or not until the show airs.

The characters maintain their relevance to the community around them by linking in with social groups, corporations, religious groups; each of these group imposes some type of morality on the character, requires some of their time, or applies some some other restriction. In exchange, these groups provide the characters with special abilities that they might not have been able to access otherwise (new skills, equipment, specific contacts, special powers, etc.) Some characters secretly gain powers from supernatural groups themselves, after all they believe that the best way to fight fire is with fire, these hunters take the fight to the supernatural with a more even playing field (when the use their supernatural powers on screen, most people simply think that it's clever special effects).

The strategic level of the game that I refer to in other posts covers the actions of the supernatural beings in the setting as they attempt to manipulate the hunters to take out their enemies.

As I keep saying, the development process is far from complete. I'm just throwing a few ideas into the aether to see what comes back.

V
A.K.A. Michael Wenman
Vulpinoid Studios The Eighth Sea now available for as a pdf for $1.