News:

Forum changes: Editing of posts has been turned off until further notice.

Main Menu

[TSOY] Sharing

Started by dindenver, February 20, 2009, 05:04:48 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

dindenver

Hi!
  Running two games of TSOY at the same time is hard...
  I made a couple of observations:
1) What is the deal with ties? I've only has one player agree to a tie. He did it twice, but all the other player seem tie averse. Is that normal?
2) We came up with two new Secrets:

Secret of the Jinx
Spend a point of Pool to give a player, including the SG a penalty dice. The pool must come from the same pool as he Ability that player is using. And this can only be done once Roll. And is not affected by other Secrets (such as Enhancement).

Secret of Harmony (Khale only)
  Allows the musician to select who among the listeners are not affected by a Perfect Chord.
Exclude one character 1 Instinct
Exclude 2-10 character 2 Instinct
Exclude 11-100 character 3 Instinct
Exclude 101+ character 4 Instinct

3) Getting players used to Stake setting is hard. It's getting better, but it's an uphill battle.

I love this game!
Dave M
Author of Legends of Lanasia RPG (Still in beta)
My blog
Free Demo

Eero Tuovinen

Good to know that you're enjoying yourself.

Ties as in, you get equal check results with your opponent? Players can't really choose whether they get ties, the dice determine it. And the SG gets to narrate how the situation goes down, which might mean that the characters don't get an immediate opportunity to reroll. My favourite example for this sort of thing is the fight in a crumbling building; tie the check, and neither party "wins" because both have to escape before the building comes down.
Blogging at Game Design is about Structure.
Publishing Zombie Cinema and Solar System at Arkenstone Publishing.

oliof

If a character still has a way to get bonus dice, the plaer can use that to try and break the tie.

Dave: Maybe you talk about ties in simple conflicts?

dindenver

Hi!
  Sorry. I meant on an ability Check, Most players are proffering to BDTP rather than trust the SG to a tie. Meaning, if all the bonus die are used up, and it's a tie. They seem to consistently BDTP. Is that normal?
Dave M
Author of Legends of Lanasia RPG (Still in beta)
My blog
Free Demo

Eero Tuovinen

Not very. At least I'd expect the player to hear out what the SG is suggesting as the outcome from the tied conflict. The players can still choose BDtP after the SG narrates a bit about the consequences, after all.

Still, it's not uncommon for players to be a bit trigger-happy on BDtP. Just keep an eye on whether they are enjoying it and be ready to push the responsibility and consciousness back at them: the players should think for themselves on whether they'd enjoy a BDtP procedure at this particular juncture.
Blogging at Game Design is about Structure.
Publishing Zombie Cinema and Solar System at Arkenstone Publishing.