News:

Forum changes: Editing of posts has been turned off until further notice.

Main Menu

Maces and 13th century settings- TROS Lionheart

Started by Ace, July 21, 2002, 02:42:01 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ace

OK I have on more question, marginally on topic.

Someone on the Pyramid boards asked me about the uses of maces in the 13th century

We don't have much in the way of Fetbuchs on them but I would like to know

In RPG's set  in that period were maces in much use?

Were non sword weapons other than poleaxes spears, and axes in use?

If you are doing say TROS, Lionheart- should the mace be a common weapon or fairly rare?

I don't mean the stone headed mace improvised for war but I mean the honest to peter steel headed skull crusher we all know and love

Also are there any good mace use sources out there.

Thanks

Lyrax

I'm not the world's leading historian myself, but I know a few things about maces.

Maces were not extremely popular before the advent of heavy armors, most notably plate armor.  Even then, maces were used by either people in much armor or people with good shields (or possibly both).

So, the answer to your question is simple.  Everyone who expects to fight heavily armored foes will use mass weapons, such as the beloved skullcrusher.  If not, they will rely on swords, polearms and light missile weapons (which can still kill an unshielded foe quite readily) more often.

The question is not about what time period, it is about who is fighting whom.  Raiders in the 13th century never expected armored enemies, but most armies did.

On a side note, swords will be used no matter what, but, with armor involved, more half-swording techniques will be performed, and the swords are more likely to be estocs and bastard swords... not longswords and greatswords.
Lance Meibos
Insanity takes it's toll.  Please have exact change ready.

Get him quick!  He's still got 42 hit points left!

Mike Holmes

I remember a story about William the Conqueror's brother, who, as a cleric, used a mace in battle so as to avoid shedding blood. hehe

It is stories like these that I believe led to the D&D prohibition against clerics using sharp weapons, BTW. Silly.

Anyhow, that was in 1066 or thereabouts, well before the advent of plate armor. Thus, I think that we can attribute early mace use to the clergy who fought in battle. Later, maces became more popular for a wider variety of people, as it becomes a more effective weapon against plate armored foes.

QuoteIn RPG in that period was the mace in much use?
That looks garbled, could you state the question again?

QuoteWere non sword weapons other than poleaxes spears, and axes in use?
Sure, lots. As Lyrax says, though it all depends on who, where. Picks and hammers, for example. Again more for armored foes, and more later, but they were used. There were a bewildering variety of polarms, most just modifications of farm implements. A pitchfork isn't bad in a pinch, as well as sickles, scythes, flails, whatever. Other field expedient weapons occur as well. As a last resort, pick up a large blunt instrument and swing. The club is a time honored weapon.

QuoteIf you are doing say TROS, Lionheart- should the mace be a common weapon or fairly rare?  
FWIW, Friar tuck used a morning star in the Erol Flynn Robin Hood movie in the big fight scene.  ;-)

Mike
Member of Indie Netgaming
-Get your indie game fix online.

Ace

Sorry about the bad edit. I thought English was my first language...

Maybe its Engrish--- All your Riddle of Steel are belong to us, you have no die pool, degree of 4 hit, make your time or something. :)

Thanks for the feedback

Lyrax

I thought that was Much, the Miller's son using that mace.
Lance Meibos
Insanity takes it's toll.  Please have exact change ready.

Get him quick!  He's still got 42 hit points left!