News:

Forum changes: Editing of posts has been turned off until further notice.

Main Menu

Firewalling the Fiction [The Hellenes/Mask of the Emperor]

Started by Abkajud, June 11, 2009, 03:01:51 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Abkajud

I've noticed that in most games I've played, you consult with Fortune once (one roll of the dice, one card drawn, etc.) and then return to narration. For example, I roll to kill my opponent, he rolls in response, and then back to narration with the dice results in mind.

I'm wondering - are there any games anyone can think of that have a series of rolls, etc., occur before going back to the fiction? A flurry of dice-rolling, and then narration, for example, as my foe and I charge up and down the floor in our duel, possibly with each subsequent dice roll building off the results of the first, and at the end, we get a great big mass of information to use while we narrate. Anyone know of a game like that?

The reason I ask is that I've taken a shine to Vincent's clouds-and-dice analogy, and it rings true for the current version of Mask of the Emperor - it's possible to roll quite a bit of dice without ever taking any information from the "cloud"/the fiction, only taking info from the dice, and that does feel kind of "firewalled" or limiting, like dice-mode and talkie-mode are two very distinct, discrete play modes; this is not a pleasant thing to experience. I think I've found a way to correct the problem, but now I'm wondering if there needs to be sort of a 1:1 ratio of dice-narrative-dice during a Point of Contact with the mechanics, or if that's just how it's usually done.

Thanks, all!
Mask of the Emperor rules, admittedly a work in progress - http://abbysgamerbasement.blogspot.com/