News:

Forum changes: Editing of posts has been turned off until further notice.

Main Menu

Discovering your powers -- an exercise of IIEE (or IIEC, etc.)

Started by HeTeleports, July 20, 2009, 08:18:40 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

HeTeleports

You know what's always cool about superhero origin stories?

The transformation of the protagonist.
That's what Joseph Campbell's "Hero with a Thousand Faces" is really about.
That's what the first 3/4ths of the novel "Jumper" (by Steve Gould) is about.

In my personal holodeck (ie: my imagination), I bet that a well-tuned IIEE design can accommodate something like this:
(In chronological order...)
A player knows he/she will get a superpower, self-defined or not.
Their character does not have a superpower at the start -- it's just not in character design.
The player moves the character through an environment/situation.
Through a GM's reactions (that last E in IIEE), the character discovering their powers,
And the player discovering the power's rules -- learning to game within them.

My specific questions:
1. Has anyone already played this/seen this in action?
2. Is the play experience I'm describing a result of a good system or a good GM?

(To keep us from quoting Mr. Edward's brilliant "System does matter" essay, think of the second option in No. 2 as an extension of "Now your character is turning into a werewolf" situations.)
He's supposed to be finishing the art and text for his new game "Secret Identities." If you see him posting with this message, tell him to "stop playing on the Internet and get to work."

"Oh... be careful. He teleports."

Simon C

I'm not sure I understand this question, or how it relates to IIEE.  It sounds like you're applying IIEE (a way of describing stages in a conflict) to something that's much larger in scope than it's usually used for.  Can you give us an example of what this would look like in play?

Cheers,

Simon

Luke

Michael S Miller's very satisfying superhero rpg: With Great Power.

Vincent Baker's well-regarded western rpg: Dogs in the Vineyard.

Both games address what you're talking about in their own way. They're both very educational.