News:

Forum changes: Editing of posts has been turned off until further notice.

Main Menu

[11:11] Introduction

Started by 7VII7, August 06, 2009, 01:01:32 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

7VII7

I've released the game I've previously been working on was partially not what I wanted and mostly over my head so for now it's on the back burner as I turn my limited attention span to a different idea (of many)

11:11 (note: there's no meaning of to this name, it's just what the time was when I started writing this and admitedly is a kinda cool name) is a modern-unless-otherwise-noted game meant to capture the feel of such books as midnighters & shades children in that it's about highschoolers (not neccesarily) with powers (well, power) which is rather limited in scope and can't really be relied on, they are then forced to confront monsters stronger, faster, and stronger then them with the limited resources that a teenager would have.

I want it to be something quick to set up but with quite a bit of depth and allow the players to take their characters with them through games.

Color: The mood of the story would be optimistic terror? (I don't really know...)

Characters: The characters are teenagers (though adults are possible but rare) with a power (only one, though certain events can change that) and able to see into & enter a parallel dimension (for lack of a better name) of their town inhabited by monsters (though not always monstrous monsters) who think of humans as humans think of other animals, (which means it ranges from prey, to pets, to even equals) the characters are just about the only people who know of that dimension and the adults certainly can't be told about it.

Setting: The setting is a single town (though a single school for powered people is possible ala hogwarts) with different districts each of which has at least one or more scene (a place the characters would frequently go to), a wonder (which is a place where the AD starts to leak through and so in the real world are weird and in the AD are REALLY weird), or a locale (which is just a location, though one that could become a scene or wonder easily). This makes setting generation easy in that you just make up a district, describe it a bit, then put on a scene, wonder, or locale, adding to it as neccesary.

Situation: The situation will largely be decided by the players though no matter the situation the AD would start to become more dangerous and the character's are in over their heads (not too much that they'd drown though) and there would be a time mechanic giving the characters a certain amount of time to resolve it.

System: The system would be pretty fast & simple, I'm thinking of something that would combine the Nobilis system & the Soap system, the character's wouldn't neccesarily get stronger all the time, after character creation they're attributes are pretty much locked in changing only after a significant event or period of time (as decided by. . . GM? Vote? I dunno) and they'd only get a major change by something that risks death (I need to think on that more...) I'd like to incorprate elements of The Red Queen's Race if for nothing else then just as a handwave as to why a character can remain the same through different adventures. Eh Whattever...

So far I have the following Attributes:
Physical: (Duh)
Social: (How good you are at talking your way out of or into things)
Mental: (You're brain power)
Power: (How good you are with your power)
Craft: (How good you are making / using tools, good for weapons which give you a bonus but not much more then that)
Aura: (You're presence, could be used to scare off monsters)

I want these values to be realitively low, I think I'll make 10 the normal human max, I'm thinking about making the human average be 5 (which would me everyone starts at that) then have it so that the next level costs that level in points (ie level 4 costs 4 points, level 3, 3) and give them a handful of points at start of creation to customize. For conflict resolution I'm think about something like Nobilis's miracle points.

I'll also have fatigue as sort of a combintation of physical, mental, social (pretty much everything) weariness instead of concrete HP but also include injury levels for when they get injured (With something like 10 points of fatigue at one time would get converted into an injury level) which would heal like in real life.

As for the character's power, I think I'll make a list of potential powers but encourage people to pick their own, the powers wouldn't be super enough to be superpowers but obviously not human (they'll also be almost non-exsitent ((I can't spell ><)) outside the AD) it'd also be pretty limited (so no flying brick packages), have a flaw to go along with it, and cause a lot of fatigue when used.

So. . .yeah. . . any comments & questions would be appreciated, in addition I'd also like ideas for more attributes or anything else that I should add, I'm thinking about adding skills though they would only add a bonus to tasks revolving around that skill...(hmmm. . . I must think)

Robert Bohl

Can you explain what the Nobilis and Soap system are, and/or how you're going to use it? Maybe just the parts you're going to use?
Game:
Misspent Youth: Ocean's 11 + Avatar: The Last Airbender + Snow Crash
Shows:
Oo! Let's Make a Game!: Joshua A.C. Newman and I make a transhumanist RPG

MacLeod

This sounds pretty similar to the Persona series of video games... you didn't mention it but I'm wondering if you have any experience with those games? If not, I'd recommend P3 and P4 for inspirational purposes (and the fact that they are actually fun).
I've played around with the idea of trying my hand at creating a Persona-like roleplaying game...

In any event I think you have a solid foundation to work off of. You mentioned Nobilis, do intend to make this a diceless game...?
~*/\Matthew Miller/\*~

7VII7

Yes I've played persona 3 and it's definitely inspired me however they rely too much on their power for what I'm trying to go for, I'm trying to get it so that the powers would only be used if there was no other option. And since both Nobilis & Soap ARE diceless it's pretty safe to assume I'm going for diceless too. I haven't really played Nobilis (but I want to, stupid lack of money ><) but from what I understand it there's very few attributes, basically just how strong they are physical, how strong their powers are, how much control they have over their realm, and how well they can defend against other people, each of these ranges from 0-5 which determines what you can do, and what you actually do is fueled by miracle points, now I'm sure that's not right but like I say I've never played it myself, this is just second hand sources, in soap you gain tokens for playing out your characters traits, you can then pay tokens to enter scenes, annoy the other players (like making them crash their car) etc, and so on.

Luke

Can you describe how a typical encounter between a group of teenagers and a monster would happen in your game?

Please describe this in terms of what the players at the table are doing, not in terms of in-character action and setting description.

If you're stuck, try to imagine yourself at the table. What's the ideal for an encounter or session?