News:

Forum changes: Editing of posts has been turned off until further notice.

Main Menu

11:11

Started by 7VII7, August 11, 2009, 12:23:10 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

7VII7

Ok, I've already introduced 11:11 before but I've thought on it and felt like I should post this,

The basic concept of the game is as follows:

-Color: It depends on how exactly played but generally on the more cynical & gritty sides of their respective sliding scales but not so far as to become depressing.

-Setting: The entire campaign (for lack of a better word) is mainly ment to take place in a single town though occasional out of town forays are easy to make, each player takes turn deciding on aspects of the setting. Basically in the towns there's the normal side and the other side which except for monsters replacing people & animals, & the ocasional wonder (more on that later) is exactly like the normal side, it's up to the players to decide what exactly the other side is. Some important things with setting include:
*Districts: general areas in the town like mainstreet, uptown, downtown, the main town should have around 12 or so districts while forays out of town would be limited to one or two districts.
*Scenes: Places the characters frequent on the normal side, examples might be a class room, a resturant, or one of the character's houses.
*Wonders: Things are vastly different on the other side which translates as weirdness on the normal side, examples might include a tree on the normal side that would be able to talk on the other side, a cafe that is never open but is bustling on the otherside, and an abandoned house that's a haunted mansion on the otherside.
*Locales: bit pieces that are just there for background but can become scenes or wonders as the plot demands, includes such things as supermarkets, post office, the beach.

Situation: The actual situation depends on the players but mainly the characters are forced to confront monsters and such that they have no hopes of defeating normally in a "place" only they can go so they risk being considered crazy if they tell anyone, however it is NOT a horror game and if the characters are smart the monsters will leave them alone and the characters can beat monsters they normally couldn't.

Characters: The characters are for the most part normal people with acess to the training & resources that a normal person has though they can access the other side and have a power that, while not enough by itself, gives them a boost they otherwise wouldn't have. How powerful that power is depends largely on the type of game the players want to play. (EDIT: Character creation would be on a point buy system)

System: The system is planned as being diceless, gmless, and be able to be played with a minimum of players. What would normally be the GM's duties could be split evenly between the players or have each player have a job doubling up when neccesary and switching each session if they want.
The jobs would be something like such:
Dealer: (As in the dealer in poker, don't automatically think the worst of a person) The closest thing to a traditional GM, this is the person you have to impress to get Plot Coupons (more on that later) and who picks up the slack for the other jobs)
Character: The person who picks & plays the NPCs & Monsters, though if there's enough of them other players would take over as well.
Situation: The person responsible for what's happening, both short term & long term (maybe)
System: The person who enforces the rules and determines when a check is made and the target numbers (though that sometimes falls under dealer territory)

As for the characters they would have a very broad attributes, which go from 1-10 in total but mostly between 2-5 for characters. The attributes are as follows:
Phyiscal: (How good they are at phyiscal challenges duh)
Social:
Mental:
Power: (How good they are with their power)
Craft: (How good they are at making & using items)
Resources: (How good their resources are)
Prescence: (How physically intimidating they are)

In addition there's fatigue which is how generally tired you are, and injury levels which is how hurt you are.

Traits also play a big part in things, adding bonuses or penalties in particular situation, some are permanent (bad eyesight) some are temporary (having a weapon) two traits all characters have is special skill which gives a bonus when the particular skill is used, how big the bonus is depends on how useless the skill is, and Flaw, which like it name suggests is a flaw, different powers have different flaws that you can choose from.

Finally there's plot coupons, which are gained for doing impressive things like good role playing or coming up with a solution the other person never thought of, this can be spent on changing something something in the game world, flatly boost a characters stat in a challenge, or even meta effects like calling dibs on snacks.

Finally again, there's the character's powers, I plan on including a list of powers but encourge people to invent their own, powers would be rated from 1-5 depending on how useful they are though more powerful powers cost more.

Finally thricly, character's wouldn't gain xp but instead gain stat changes, traits, or even new powers by doing something big, for gaining a new power it should be something that could either kill or fate-worse-then-death your character depending on the type of game you're playing, it's also quite possible to have your stats lowered. This coincidently would allow another goal of mine in allowing players to take their character with them to different games, though requiring a change.

So. . . Yeah. . .

In this, I want the average mook monster to have stats of about 2-1, infantry type monsters to be 3-5 giving the character a challenge one on one, and the main monsters to be 7+ neccesating a plan & a team.

Now for what I'm looking for are:

Ideas for various traits,

Any questions about anything I haven't been clear about,

Ideas for powers,

The basic setting of my game is, shall we say, user generated, should I have the other side be like it, or have it be a specific thing, or provide a suggestion.
I'm thinking about if this gets off the ground having a program where every group in the program would have a different town in the setting but be in the same univerese letting things caused by one group possible affecting the others. Does this sound possible?

And um... just any questions or comments would be apreacited because I'm sure there's plenty of things I'm taking for granted but which other people might not get...

Vladius

Well, what exactly is the setting's time period and level of technology? Not everything can be user generated, because then the setting and the rules themselves become very diluted and don't really have any basis.

If you tell me that, and exactly how the Powers and Traits will work in regards to function and source (magic, psionics, otherworldly dimensions, etc.) then I could come up with some.

7VII7

The setting is modern day unless noted otherwise, but I don't really get what you mean with the rest of your post.

Vladius

Quote from: 7VII7 on August 11, 2009, 03:21:06 PM
The setting is modern day unless noted otherwise, but I don't really get what you mean with the rest of your post.

I read your other thread on the game, so I understand a little bit more. It's about teenagers in a town or school (or some limited area), with powers. The powers come from another dimension with monsters and stuff, and some of the monsters are more or less monstrous.

What kind of powers? Are we talking shooting fireballs, or what? Is there any sort of system for summoning powers from another place? What about monsters?

7VII7

I haven't really thought of the exact relationship between powers / deminsion, basically, either having a power lets you get into the alternate dimension or getting into the alternate dimension gives you a power, however as for the powers I want it to be that at least in the default setting, powers are really hard / tiring to use, like somebody could through a fire ball but they'd only get like one shot with it per day or whatever. Though if they want to play a more empowered game I would include options for that.

One of my inspirations for this is the Midnighters trilogy of books so I'll use the powers from there as an example:

Seer: The seer can see traces of Midnight (the other side of Midnighters trilogy), allowing him to see where darklings (monsters) of midnight have been, see when people have been to Midnight, and can see & read the invisible runes left by previous midnighters, this is a pretty average power and would be ranked 2-3 on a one to five scale.

Polymath: Polymaths instictintively understand all things to do with math, this would normally be just a 1 or 2, however as the monsters are weak agai"nst the number 13 and things to do with it it's boosted up to 2 or 3.

Mindcaster: Mindcasters can "taste" other peoples thoughts allowing them to tell where humans & darklings are in midnight & can manipulate normal peoples minds, this would normally be a 3 or 4 but this particualar character can't turn it off and has trouble controling it which would lower it to a 2 or 3

Acrobat: Gravity is only a fraction of it's normal strength for acrobats & things/people touching them, allowing them to "fly" by leaping tall buildings in a single bound, as this is a more powerful / useful talent it would be a 3 or 4

Flame Bringer: The flame bringer talent allows the user to bring electricty & fire into midnight, as the darklings are extremely weak against it (a flash light cuts through them like a laser) it's boosted up to 3 or 4

Basically the powers are rather specific and possiblly useless though depending on the game they can become more or less powerful. Basically it's not superpowers but only part of it (for example: a character might be able to shoot webs like spiderman but they can't climb walls or sense danger)

I hope that makes sense...

Vladius

That's pretty cool, but I hope you're not basing it entirely on someone else's works.

I think those are some pretty good powers unto themselves. If you decide to use a class system, you could have one "regular" class and one "dimensional" class which determines what their powers do. (Seer, Polymath, Mindcaster, Acrobat, Flame Bringer, etc.) Each would have various power tiers, but it would still be very limited, as you said, once per day.

Could you somehow "channel" the power of a darkling to do something?

7VII7

Midnighters is one of the inspirations for this game and a handy example which is why I'm using it, I'm not planning on using a class system, and it depends on what you mean by channel but there'd be powers that would allow you to do stuff like that, actually in the midnighters series the seer becomes part darkling allowing him to use some of their powers but also getting some of their weaknesses, (btw I plan on including ways to get multiple powers but in the suggested scenario your character would have to risk death or fate-worse-then-death to get them) so yeah...