News:

Forum changes: Editing of posts has been turned off until further notice.

Main Menu

[TAROT] Fatigue

Started by 7VII7, August 28, 2009, 10:13:18 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

7VII7

As I see it, normal hp won't work for my game but I do need something to measure the general levels of health for the characters, so instead of normal HP I plan on doing what I call fatigue, now naturally fatigue goes up by fighting but also anything tiring can increase it (though not as much) and if you get a certain amount of fatigue in one shot you get injured which I'm thinking of being like a temporary trait or something, I still haven't figured out much about this but as a sort of baseline I came up with the following (by which I mean I stole it from Super Smash Bros):

A normal basic attack if it hits would be about 6-9 fatigue.

A strong normal attack would be around 20 fatigue which I'm thinking would be around the place for a low level injury maybe.

A strong finishing attack can go up to around 75 fatigue at once

An important enough fight might get up into the 300s for fatigue.

As for enemies they'll have something along the lines to HP, where they're dead or disabled when their fatigue reaches a certain level, as for characters the way I plan it dying/having the risk of dying is reserved for momentous events so they won't die from fatigue but the higher it is the longer it takes them to get back up.

First off does anybody have any questions or comments about this? More specifically;
Does this seem a reasonable scale? At this scale a hetic day might be 3-5 fatigue and I'm not sure if I want it higher or not.
Does anybody have any ideas about what any other examples might be or where I should put the injury levels?
Does anybody have any ideas about what different amounts of fatigue would be, for example the difference between 10 & 50 fatigue, of course somethings will go down but then again in true manga fashion some should go up.
um... so yeah... etc & so on

Vladius

Sounds interesting. I've heard it said that HP is supposed to represent "how tired you get" because if something really hit someone that many times then they wouldn't be as... alive as they are in D&D. However, that raises a bunch of other problems...

It looks like you'll be implementing it more correctly.

You'll have to find a somewhat realistic scale.

"An important enough fight might get up into the 300s for fatigue." Holy Gosh. If a hectic day is 3-5, then wouldn't you collapse and die on the spot at 300?

I think that if something actually hits you, there should be a separate system. If you were going to be taken out by a Coup de grace or something, then you wouldn't get more tired, you would die.

I think fatigue is an interesting resource-management aspect to combat. Do you get fatigue from attacking too, or just being "hit?"

7VII7

well 300 was just a bad estimation, the fact is I have a horrible head for stuff like that, as for getting injured / dying I'm thinking of a type of injury level system which I guess I didn't talk about before.

As for getting fatigued by attacking, it's a good question and a hard one, the answer has to be yes but I haven't really stamped out how to do it, I'm thinking about having a different powersource for attacks with strong attacks, increasing the strength of attacks causing fatigue, or maybe you don't feel the effects of that fatigue until you beat the enemy or some other trigger.

I dunno. . . that's a rather hard question...

Callan S.

Are you thinking of having attacks cause fatigue on the attacker, because it seems to fit the how it'd work in your world, or because it makes some sort of interesting resource managment game? Just on the latter, unless your making a gamist game, don't put interesting resource management games in that are for their own sake.

If it's the former - all the sort of 'make the world just right' sort of RPG's seem to be fun because how the world works, or atleast the interesting parts of how the world works, are worked out in the heat of play itself. It has to happen in play with the group, not by one person all by himself before play. Attacks causing fatigue - is this a boring thing your getting out of the way before play so play is about the interesting stuff, or are you working out an interesting thing prior to play?
Philosopher Gamer
<meaning></meaning>