News:

Forum changes: Editing of posts has been turned off until further notice.

Main Menu

[Planet] Introductory stuff

Started by khyron1144, September 10, 2009, 05:04:43 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

khyron1144

The working title for my possible heartbreaker is Planet.  Here's some of the beginning stuff from it, so people can see where I'm coming from stylisitically:
Planet
An Introductory Totally Random Game System
Introduction

This is, to the best of my knowledge, a totally new game system based around the idea that simplicity is good, particularly in character creation.  I believe the reason that many RPGs feel complicated to beginners is the number of decisions that must be made.  I have therefore, attempted to actually take decision making power out of the hands of the players and make normally chosen aspects of the character creation process depend upon a random die roll checked against a table.

The Obligatory Introduction to Role Playing Games
If you've played cops and robbers or house when you were a little one, you've played a Role Playing Game.  This one simply involves a few more rules to avoid the I shot you, no you didn't syndrome of the typical cops and robbers game.

Role playing games are an outgrowth of miniatures war-gaming, so most of the rules are for resolving fights.  Role Playing Games can vary from a tactical exercise on the order of chess or Risk to a pure joint story telling exercise somewhat reminiscent of improvisational acting.  I am trying to make the default somewhere in the middle.

Every player in an RPG should have a character.  The character is an imaginary playing piece in this game whose actions you control.  You make the decisions for your character. 

Supplies
Before you play, you should acquire: some pencils and papers for keeping track of characters; some friends to play with; and some dice of the normal six-sided variety and some with twenty sides available from hobby shops and comic book stores.
I like living in the past.
It's so predictable.