News:

Forum changes: Editing of posts has been turned off until further notice.

Main Menu

What Is Roleplaying? text open license

Started by dmkdesigns, September 19, 2009, 08:10:55 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

dmkdesigns

I would like to know if there is an open license or free text that explains about roleplaying games, GMs, Players, etc. so that people don't have to reinvent the wheel every time?

Or barring that, what guidelines have you used when you incorporate such text into your game?

Thank you!
-David-

Eero Tuovinen

That part is not very in-depth in most games - and more significantly, it's not even that universal, or even useful in most cases. You'd probably be best off writing your own explanation that reflects your own understanding of what people do when they play your specific game. Still, if you want to copy this verbatim from somebody else, you might look into any of the open license games out there. They each have their own way of dealing with the introduction, and you often can lift that text directly for your own use with minimal limitations.
Blogging at Game Design is about Structure.
Publishing Zombie Cinema and Solar System at Arkenstone Publishing.

Sanglorian

Greg Stolze wrote how to run and how to play RPGs. I've never actually read them, so I'm not sure if they're what you're looking for.

dmkdesigns

Quote from: Sanglorian on September 21, 2009, 09:07:37 AM
Greg Stolze wrote how to run and how to play RPGs. I've never actually read them, so I'm not sure if they're what you're looking for.

Thanks!
-David-