News:

Forum changes: Editing of posts has been turned off until further notice.

Main Menu

action points, by any other name

Started by punkbohemian, December 29, 2009, 01:45:03 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

punkbohemian

What I'm using in my system is a sort of an action point system to cover attacking and defense, based on an Agility-type stat which is going to determine how much a character can act in any given round (and costs will vary by action/weapon). However, rather than just calling them action points, I want to give them a more thematic name. On a conceptual level, it's a measure of the amount of "work" or "effort" a character can exert in any given round. So, if I were doing an Asia-, particularly Chinese-, themed setting, I could call it something like "Kung". Not only does it fit with the theme, but it's a term that wouldn't be entirely foreign to any player with even the slightest familiarity with Chinese culture.

However, this setting most closely resembles an ancient Bronze Age society (like the Babylonians or Aztecs). AFAIK, the Ancient Babylonians didn't have as elaborate of a philosophical base to their concept of combat, so I'm not sure what I could name it in those terms. Even if I did, it would probably sound flat-out weird to most players. Of course, it doesn't have to be strictly Babylonian. As long as it's something that would resonate with players and still stick to the theme (so something like "chronologically segmented aerobic activity" would be way off), I'd be happy.

Any suggestions? Thanks.

Stacktrace

Alacrity
Energy
Vitality
Vigor
Activity
Fervor
Courage
Bravery
Boldness
Stamina
Moxie
Expertise
Maneuver
Tactics
Advantage
Initiative
Moves
Drive
Ambition
Daring
Determination
Prowess
Tenacity
Valor

David C

I'd just like to say that this is what I'm using for my game, so if you have any questions, I'm a good resource. ;-)

Musuo
Renbu
Wushu
Discipline

I have no idea what any of these words mean (especially discipline...) but they're stats in the Dynasty Warrior video games. That's going to get instant recognition from some gamers and since it seems you might know their meaning, they might apply to what you're looking for.
...but enjoying the scenery.

JoyWriter

If you want to be clever, and set it opposite skills as a sort of balancing factor, you could call them youth points! Then younger warriors can run around with boundless energy, but be in danger from the single blow from the old master.

Marc Truant

Quote from: Catelf on December 29, 2009, 05:29:31 PM
"Stride"
"Flow"

I personally love these ones. I'm tempted to use "Flow" in one of my projects.