News:

Forum changes: Editing of posts has been turned off until further notice.

Main Menu

Cowboys and Samurai (WIP) ~constructive criticism wanted!

Started by Marc Truant, January 04, 2010, 03:02:57 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

hix

Hi Marc,

While I don't want to overload you with questions to think about, there's something about your idea that I'd like to know more about.

You've probably noticed that people often ask "What do the characters do in your game?" and "What do the players do?". Here are a few questions related to those issues that I hope you can answer.

Imagine that we've created our characters and are sitting down at your table to play a game. What do we need to do next to play the game?

Do the players need to come up with starting situations to resolve? Is there a GM who has created an adventure or a cast of characters to meet? Is the game designed to have all of the cowboy characters fight all the samurai characters?

What would be your advice to someone who wants to run C&S?

So, we've made up our characters (which are either cowboys or samurais), and we're in this post-apocalyptic setting (which I'm imagining as dusty and filled with isolated towns and ruins). So ... why is it cool for us to be playing cowboys and samurais in this game?

Are there any particular problems that they face that are going to be cool for us to defeat as a group? Are there loyalty conflicts between cowboys and samurais? Do the inhabitants of the setting hate cowboys and samurais and are hunting them to extinction?

Can you tell me more about the 'hook' that makes it fascinating to play a cowboy or a samurai in your post-apocalyptic world?
Cheers,
Steve

Gametime: a New Zealand blog about RPGs

Marc Truant

These questions are great actually, Hix. They're much clearer and easier for me to respond to. :P And don't focus on the very incomplete mechanics of the game...

1. When the GM and the players sit down to play, the GM should have a clear vision of the adventure that is about to take place and the players should be ready to embrace the challenges brought to the table. The GM should also prepare to alter his/her adventure as the players progress and grow and make different decisions that he/she (the GM) intended.

The game is designed to explore post-apocalyptic conflict in a new light that draws on Spaghetti Westerns and old folk and fairy tales from Japan. The players go on an adventure in a world where they are either seen as heroes and law-bringers or unwelcome outcasts and outlaws.

2. The reason why you play a cowboy or a samurai is because these are two warrior-like cultures that act as either hands of God or the Devil's playgrounds. The towns in the game will take us back to the dusty and wooden settlements of the old West, and the wilderness and ruins will call upon Eastern philosophy and religion.

The big problems are to be brought in by the GM, depending on what kind of character the player plays. An honorable samurai, a despicable cowboy, a sword-swinging maniac, a paladin-like sheriff? Depending on who and what you play, the GM should accommodate the adventure to your character. You should ask yourself as you play, "Why should I step in to this conflict? What's in it for me? Is it something that personally affects me? Is there a grand reward? Do I just feel like being nice today?"

Cowboys and samurai are both very different, but the same in a lot of ways. They have different ways of dealing with their foes, but are similar in that they are, for the most part, lone warriors... So why would they come together? That's for the GM to figure out.

There'll be some things in the setting to expand on the differing philosophies between gunslingers and swordsmen and everything in-between. There will be some classes later in the game that you can choose and progress with that focus more on guns or more on swords... Or even on fists or bows. Maybe even a salvaged chainsaw, converted now into a steam-powered weapon?

Thanks for the questions, though. They've actually helped me think through some things about the game. I might be scrapping a few ideas and adding some new ones now.

dindenver

Marc,
  Sorry about the questions centered on mechanics. But, I love RPG mechanics, I love talking about RPG mechanics.
  About what you have posted so far two things concern me. either one of them probably wouldn't be a red flag, but together, I see an issue:
1) Player can make Heroes or Villains, nothing in between (I like this part, FYI). But there doesn't seem to be any mechanical difference between good and evil or advice to the players about which to make and why.
2) You stated that it is the GMs job to reconcile any differences that may arise. So, if Player A makes a Nobunaga-esque Ruthless Samurai warlord ad Player B makes a Paladin with a pistol. And you have an adventure where they save the village from bandits. It's the GMs job to motivate the players and their characters to engage. Honestly, I think all the players present are equally responsible for the fun. I mean the GM can only do so much, right?
  What are your thoughts on this?
Dave M
Author of Legends of Lanasia RPG (Still in beta)
My blog
Free Demo

Marc Truant

Quote from: dindenver on January 09, 2010, 01:25:38 AM
Marc,
  Sorry about the questions centered on mechanics. But, I love RPG mechanics, I love talking about RPG mechanics.
  About what you have posted so far two things concern me. either one of them probably wouldn't be a red flag, but together, I see an issue:
1) Player can make Heroes or Villains, nothing in between (I like this part, FYI). But there doesn't seem to be any mechanical difference between good and evil or advice to the players about which to make and why.
2) You stated that it is the GMs job to reconcile any differences that may arise. So, if Player A makes a Nobunaga-esque Ruthless Samurai warlord ad Player B makes a Paladin with a pistol. And you have an adventure where they save the village from bandits. It's the GMs job to motivate the players and their characters to engage. Honestly, I think all the players present are equally responsible for the fun. I mean the GM can only do so much, right?
  What are your thoughts on this?

Apology accepted. I can see where you're coming from! If you really love RPG mechanics, maybe we can talk about mine and I could get some help? :P
As for your questions...

1) Yourself or others: You're always working for one or the other. A villain is selfish, a hero selfless. If you choose to be a villain, it's more of the easy way out of things, to gain early. If you're a hero, you'll be taking a higher, harder path, but you might find others at your side in the future.
I still gotta work it out, but I hope you get what I'm saying.

2) Our Paladin would save the village for obvious reasons, but our Warlord (and therefore, his player) would have to search for a reason as to why he should even consider helping out the village. Maybe he expects a nice big reward in the end, or perhaps he just feels like cutting off some heads.

Hope that answers osme questions!