News:

Forum changes: Editing of posts has been turned off until further notice.

Main Menu

[Steampunk Crescendo] Structure of Play

Started by dindenver, January 04, 2010, 10:32:33 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

dindenver

Hi!
  I am posting the initial outline of my Structure of Play section. What I would like to do is ask two questions concerning it:
1) Does it make any sense?
2) How would you improve it?

Structure of Play
   Most of these elements don't have any mechanics wrapped around them. But, I think it is important to understand how the game was designed to flow.

1. Brainstorm topics, ideas and themes that everyone would be interested in.
   2. The group determines who is the Mastermind.
   3. The Mastermind combines those ideas into an Antagonist that they are excited about.
   4. The Mastermind describes the Antagonist and what they are currently doing.
   5. The rest of the players design characters around the themes/activities highlighted by the Antagonist.
   6. The Mastermind should develop Plots around each characters' Goals.
   7. The first Session starts
   8. Each player Selects a Scene
   9. Once the players have all had a turn, the Mastermind sets a scene.
  10. Scenes continue until the Session is over.
  11. Sessions continue until each character is able to complete their Story Arc (they complete or change their Goal).
  12. Story Arcs continue until the Adventure is complete (At least one Story Arc is completed for each character).

The Scene is the smallest unit of play. Players take turns setting Scenes.
  The Session is defined as any continuous period of time where the group is playing together.
  Next, is the Story Arc. This is the Plot that unfolds when a character attempts to support or refute their Goal. A Story Arc is considered complete when either a Goal is accomplished, or the character changes their Goal.
  Finally, there is the Adventure. This is a Series of Story Arcs that proceed until each character has completed at least one Story Arc each.
  I have more writing to do around it, but I wanted to get some feedback around whether or not the ideas were clear before I committed too much and realized I missed an important portion.
  So, what do you think?
Dave M
Author of Legends of Lanasia RPG (Still in beta)
My blog
Free Demo

Locke

hmm i don't know if this helps...

but i made a simple modern combat game.  There was no initiative roll.  The highest ranking character who was leading the team assigned who goes first, second, and so on.  It was the GM's job to determine when the NPC's went.

As a GM I liked it because it allowed the team leader to build a strategy that was somewhat finite.  I had a couple players who bitched b/c they wanted the kills, and usually those who go first get more kills.

I feel it worked well but you might have to PROVE to your players that this type of mechanic works as most likely they won;t be used to having certain party members determine the game in any way from a structure standpoint.
Check out my game Age Past, unique rolling system, in Beta now.  Tell me what you think!
https://docs.google.com/fileview?id=0B-7APna9ZhHEZmRhNmFmODktOTgxNy00NDllLTk0MjgtMjI4YzJlN2MyNmEw&hl=en

Thanks!
Jeff Mechlinski

David C

Don't talk about sessions.  Most everyone understands that a session is "The time we are playing the game."  Having it in there just adds confusion/complexity.
...but enjoying the scenery.

dindenver

Dave,
  Well, I am writing this so a beginner can pick it up and grok it. So, if you can;t look up the term in the dictionary and get what I mean, I am defining it.
  Thanks for the perusal though, it is much appreciated.
Dave M
Author of Legends of Lanasia RPG (Still in beta)
My blog
Free Demo