News:

Forum changes: Editing of posts has been turned off until further notice.

Main Menu

Elsewhere - A newly created table-top RPG setting and system.

Started by canormorum, January 06, 2010, 04:39:57 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Vulpinoid

It certainly pays to look at some of the innovation in the independent gaming scene over the past ten years.

When I first came to the forge a few years back, I had many of the same concepts in my head...I'd revolutionise gaming with my new system for task based resolution. Little did I know that the very idea of task based resolution had been successfully challenged and gaming had diversified into a huge variety of options for telling a wide variety of stories, challenging player moralities, immersing them in fascinating environments and providing new forms of entertainment limited by the shared imagination of the participants.

It blew my mind...and hopefully if you're willing to stick around here for a bit, and if you're willing to read some of the great stuff out there, it'll do the same for you.

I actually spent the last year going out of my way to explore the ideas that people had put into games, creating a series of weekly blog entries that looked at different mechanisms used in different games (some traditional, some non-traditional), a great exercise for my own research, and now a few people have started to thank me for the legacy resource it provides. If you'd like to have a look, I've provided a blog index here. Have a read, see if anything catches your attention as being useful for your game, or maybe even just something that you'd like to see experimented with further.

Just remember, we're not here to bombard you...most of us are just hobbyists who are passionate about roleplaying, and we love to see someone new who seems to share our enthusiasm.

Welcome.

V
A.K.A. Michael Wenman
Vulpinoid Studios The Eighth Sea now available for as a pdf for $1.

canormorum

Thanks, I added it to my bookmarks.  This exchange has left me with some new ideas and inspiration.    I still have a lot of work left to do but when there is a complete product to share I'll make some type of announcement.  I'm not going to say when it will be finished until I'm certain all the text, art and layout is in order though.  I'll be sure to mention my new friends at The Forge.  You might hear from me again if I get stuck or confused with a design decision along the way.  Time to roll up my sleeves and get to work.