News:

Forum changes: Editing of posts has been turned off until further notice.

Main Menu

Driftwood Indie Game Night: octaNe

Started by Jake Norwood, August 14, 2002, 03:34:10 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jake Norwood

Well, we just played octaNe. It rocked.

Ben More played "the Great Muchacho," or something like that, a smartcar with a mashed potato dispenser in the cab and machine guns under the hood.

Earta, my wife, played Cudgel, who is basically Stitch from the recent disney film.

Stew Feil, our editor, played Elvis Superfly Wuxia, an elvis impersonating kung-fu monkey in a white sequin jumpsuit

Shannon, a local player, played Anne Something or other(aw crap, I forgot the cool name), the undead punk rocker who was constantly losing body parts and re-assembling them with duct tape

The game was short, and consisted of a huge mele between hundreds of crazed monkeys (after a bag of Monkey-nip), female body-builders, and street gangs all at a gian zoo/aquarium near Lost Vegas.

Nothing went even remotely according to plan, but it was a damn good time. The scenes were very vivid and everyone really got into character.

Observations:
Plot points were rolling in, but weren't being used that much, despite high threat ratings. One player had 13 by the end of the 1.5 hour session.

Unlike InSpectres, I struggled to bring this one to a climax, and the players didn't seem to be looking for one. I finally did it, but it wasn't that smooth, as the players constantly directed action away from what might have been the end of the game.

Finally, I found the descriptions of Might and Magic to be very difficult to graps based on the rules, and one of my players was using Might as the core style for every action, and even though it often seemed off, there wasn't much I could say, as Might is never really defined.

Everyone was very impressed, myself included. It's a much more complete game than anything else MM has done, and we loved it.

Jake,
who wants to play
"Civilized men are more discourteous than savages because they know they can be impolite without having their skulls split, as a general thing." -R.E. Howard The Tower of the Elephant